Rotational and potential energy problem - Mastering physics

In summary, the problem involves a uniform ball rolling down a curved track, descending a vertical distance h, and then traveling horizontally a distance x and vertically a distance y while free falling. The task is to calculate x in terms of h and y, ignoring friction. Using the equations m*g*h = 1/2*m*v^2+1/2*I*(omega)^2 and x = x_0+v_0*t+1/2*a*t^2, the attempt at a solution involves finding the velocity of the ball at the bottom of the ramp, solving for time, and then multiplying velocity by time. However, the answer obtained does not match the expected result. Further calculation using the equation 2E = 2
Kamkazemoose

Homework Statement

"In a lab experiment you let a uniform ball roll down a curved track. The ball starts from rest and rolls without slipping. While on the track, the ball descends a vertical distance h. The lower end of the track is horizontal and extends over the edge of the lab table; the ball leaves the track traveling horizontally. While free falling after leaving the track, the ball moves a horizontal distance x and a vertical distance y."

"Calculate x in terms of h and y, ignoring the work done by friction."

h - height of ramp ball rolls down
y- height of track above ground
x - horizontal distance ball travels while falling
g - acceleration due to gravity
m - mass of ball
r - radius of ball

Homework Equations

m*g*h = 1/2*m*v^2+1/2*I*(omega)^2 (potential energy equal to kinetic energy and rotational energy)
I= 2/5*m*r^2 (moment of inertia for a sphere)
(omega)=v/r
x = x_0+v_0*t+1/2*a*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the velocity of the ball at the bottom of the ramp, mass and radius cancels out and got gh=6/10*v^2, so v=sqrt(10/6*gh). Then I tried to find the time it would take for the ball to fall y and got y=1/2gt^2 as there was no initial vertical velocity. So, i got t=sqrt((2y)/g). I then multiplied the velocity by the time because there should be no horizontal acceleration, and I got x = sqrt(6/10*gh)*sqrt((2y)/g) and mastering physics said "Your answer either contains an incorrect numerical multiplier or is missing one." so, I'm not sure what I should do, where I went wrong or whatever, so if anyone has any help, it would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kamkazemoose said:

Homework Statement

"In a lab experiment you let a uniform ball roll down a curved track. The ball starts from rest and rolls without slipping. While on the track, the ball descends a vertical distance h. The lower end of the track is horizontal and extends over the edge of the lab table; the ball leaves the track traveling horizontally. While free falling after leaving the track, the ball moves a horizontal distance x and a vertical distance y."

"Calculate x in terms of h and y, ignoring the work done by friction."

h - height of ramp ball rolls down
y- height of track above ground
x - horizontal distance ball travels while falling
g - acceleration due to gravity
m - mass of ball
r - radius of ball

Homework Equations

m*g*h = 1/2*m*v^2+1/2*I*(omega)^2 (potential energy equal to kinetic energy and rotational energy)
I= 2/5*m*r^2 (moment of inertia for a sphere)
(omega)=v/r
x = x_0+v_0*t+1/2*a*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the velocity of the ball at the bottom of the ramp, mass and radius cancels out and got gh=6/10*v^2, so v=sqrt(10/6*gh). Then I tried to find the time it would take for the ball to fall y and got y=1/2gt^2 as there was no initial vertical velocity. So, i got t=sqrt((2y)/g). I then multiplied the velocity by the time because there should be no horizontal acceleration, and I got x = sqrt(6/10*gh)*sqrt((2y)/g) and mastering physics said "Your answer either contains an incorrect numerical multiplier or is missing one." so, I'm not sure what I should do, where I went wrong or whatever, so if anyone has any help, it would be appreciated, thanks.

[tex]2E = 2m\vec{g}\vec{h} = m\vec{v}^2 + I\vec{\omega}^2 \left(=\frac{I\vec{v}^2}{\vec{r}^2}\right) = m\vec{v}^2 + I\vec{\omega}^2 + 2mgy[/tex]. Check this out. :)

Your approach to solving this problem is correct. However, there is a small mistake in your calculation for the time it takes for the ball to fall y. The correct equation is y = 1/2 * g * t^2, which means t = sqrt(2y/g). So when you multiply the velocity by the time, you should get x = sqrt(10/6 * gh) * sqrt(2y/g). This should give you the correct answer. Make sure to double check your units and numerical values to ensure accuracy.

1. What is rotational energy and how is it different from potential energy?

Rotational energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its rotational motion. It is different from potential energy, which is the energy an object has due to its position or configuration. Rotational energy depends on an object's moment of inertia and angular velocity, while potential energy depends on its height and mass.

2. How can rotational and potential energy be related in a problem?

In a problem involving rotational and potential energy, the two energies can be related through the conservation of energy principle. This means that the total energy at any given point in the problem will be equal to the total energy at any other point. This allows us to solve for unknown variables by setting the two energies equal to each other.

3. How do I calculate the rotational energy of an object?

The rotational energy of an object can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where E is the rotational energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. The moment of inertia can be calculated using the object's mass and its distance from the axis of rotation.

4. Can potential energy be negative in a rotational and potential energy problem?

Yes, potential energy can be negative in a rotational and potential energy problem. This usually occurs when the reference point for measuring potential energy is chosen to be at a lower point than the object's initial position. In this case, the potential energy at the lower point would be negative compared to the potential energy at the initial position.

5. How does the conservation of energy apply to rotational and potential energy problems?

The conservation of energy applies to rotational and potential energy problems because energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In these types of problems, energy is conserved as it is converted between rotational and potential energy throughout the object's motion.