Make Latex background transparent?

In summary: Is it just me, or is the tau in our LaTeX looking too similar to the r in our LaTeX?- WarrenIt looks like the tau in our LaTeX is looking too similar to the r in our LaTeX.
Defennder
Homework Helper
Hi guys. I have a small problem with viewing Latex symbols here. Formerly the white background of the Latex symbols enabled here would be transparent which makes the Latex display slightly better. However, due to a period of inactivity lasting slightly over 2 weeks it seems to me that either something on the forum changed or some changes were made to my web browser such that the white background appears along with the latex symbols. Is there any way to make it transparent again?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Kurdt. I wasn't aware there was a bug.

Defennder said:
Thanks Kurdt. I wasn't aware there was a bug.
I don't believe it is a bug, it's extra work chroot needed to do after the server move. I believe a lot of the LaTex here is custom work that chroot did.

Okay guys, it should be fixed. Sorry it took me so long to solve it.

[itex]E = mc^2[/itex]

- Warren

[tex]\text{Congratulation chroot!}[/tex]
[tex]2\pi[/tex].

Last edited:
Nice work! :smile:

Thanks Warren, looks great.

[tex]\text{Yes, well done Chroot!}[/tex]

Um, is it just me or does the new Latex font look thinner than before?

Yeah the font looks a little different.

I had to change a BUNCH of things to fix this "upgrade," :biggrin: so I wouldn't be surprised if the font or rendering has changed in some other way. If you think it looks bad, or is harder to read, or have any other concern, let me know. :smile:

- Warren

Yeah, I can see that. I'll futz around with the LaTeX font packages and see what I can do. :smile:

- Warren

Well then thanks.

This font isn't easy to read, but the previous one wasn't either. Hm, Let's see what this looks like if I post it again:
Fredrik said:
I came here to post the same thing. I don't know what anti aliasing is, but I know it's not looking great right now:

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 & 0\\ 0 & \frac{u_x}{u} & \frac{u_y}{u}\\ 0 & -\frac{u_y}{u} & \frac{u_x}{u} \end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

It's like the pixel size is much bigger than in the regular text. And I think the text is a bit too small.

Does this look like an arrow and a "prime"? [itex]\vec p'[/itex] Why does this T get cut off? [itex]\begin{pmatrix}a & b\end{pmatrix}^T[/itex].
Yes, this is definitely worse than before.

The previous one was bolder and easier to read.

I think it's due to the new tool chain's handling of anti-aliasing. I'll see what I can do.

- Warren

Cheers, Defennder! :smile:

Yes, in that thread, the new LaTeX is more spidery,

and also particularly the k3 in the old LaTeX is much easier to read. :frown:

[tex]r \tau r \tau r \tau[/tex]

[tex]rr \tau \tau r r [/tex]

[tex]rrr \tau \tau \tau [/tex]

[tex] \tau r \tau r \tau r[/tex]

[tex]\Huge\mbox{ $\tau r \tau r \tau r$}[/tex]

1. How do I make the background of my Latex document transparent?

To make the background of your Latex document transparent, you can use the \pagecolor{transparent} command before the \begin{document} command. This will set the page color to transparent, allowing the background to show through.

2. Can I make only certain parts of my Latex document transparent?

Yes, you can make specific parts of your Latex document transparent by using the \transparent{0.5} command before the text or object you want to make transparent. The number inside the curly braces represents the level of transparency, with 0 being completely transparent and 1 being opaque.

3. How do I change the background color of my Latex document?

You can change the background color of your Latex document by using the \pagecolor{color} command before the \begin{document} command. Replace "color" with the name or code of the color you want to use.

4. Why is the background of my Latex document not transparent after using the commands?

If the background of your Latex document is not transparent after using the commands, it may be due to the document class or packages you are using. Some document classes and packages may override the transparency settings. Try using a different document class or package or consult their documentation for specific instructions on making the background transparent.

5. Can I make the background of my Latex document transparent when printing?

Yes, you can make the background of your Latex document transparent when printing by using the \pagecolor{color} command and choosing a light color such as white or light gray. This will make the background appear transparent when printed on white paper.