Taking a semester off of physics

In summary: You'll definitely need to review the topics others suggested, but don't worry too much about the mechanics class. You'll be able to pick it up during the fall.
elementG
Hi, I just would like to hear some insights from you guys about my situation. Last semester I took Physics - Mechanics (1st sem physics for engineers). I passed it with a high B. I felt comfortable but not superior at the subject after taking the final. Now this semester I was supposed to take Physics - Electricity & Magnetism (2nd sem physics for engineers) but unfortunately the sections that were offered could not fit into my schedule. I just decided to skip it this semester and take it during the fall. Will I be able to handle E&M after a break? I know that I'm going to forget a lot from the mechanics class, should I worry about it? What do you think? Any insight appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
elementG said:
Hi, I just would like to hear some insights from you guys about my situation. Last semester I took Physics - Mechanics (1st sem physics for engineers). I passed it with a high B. I felt comfortable but not superior at the subject after taking the final. Now this semester I was supposed to take Physics - Electricity & Magnetism (2nd sem physics for engineers) but unfortunately the sections that were offered could not fit into my schedule. I just decided to skip it this semester and take it during the fall. Will I be able to handle E&M after a break? I know that I'm going to forget a lot from the mechanics class, should I worry about it? What do you think? Any insight appreciated.

I think you should be fine. Make sure to review how to do cross products, dot products and vector additions.

They are not all that similar. EM relies on Maxwell's 4 equations, Lorentz Force Law, Waves, and sometimes optics.

All I remember needing to know was those equations (how to derive others, which you will learn) and things like super position. I might be forgetting something though.

It shouldn't be too bad.

edit: It's not an easy class if they require you to learn the theory. If they just let you plug and chug, it'll be easy.

It might actually work to your benefit... as long as you've been continuing in your math sequence (often I think students are unprepared for the more-extensive use of calculus in E&M).

Just be sure to review some of the topics others suggested above... and while you take the course, you may want to also review other topics (like "projectile" motion... which is often revisited when a charge particle is launched in an electric field; or circular motion... which can occur when moving charges enter a magnetic field).

physics girl phd said:
It might actually work to your benefit... as long as you've been continuing in your math sequence (often I think students are unprepared for the more-extensive use of calculus in E&M).

Just be sure to review some of the topics others suggested above... and while you take the course, you may want to also review other topics (like "projectile" motion... which is often revisited when a charge particle is launched in an electric field; or circular motion... which can occur when moving charges enter a magnetic field).

By the time I take E&M in the fall I would be finished with all of my math. Right now I'm taking Calc3 and DE. In the summer I will be taking Linear Algebra. Thank you for the insight.

You took mechanics without taking calc III? It's pretty impressive that you did so well.

1. Why would someone want to take a semester off of physics?

There could be a variety of reasons why someone might choose to take a semester off of physics. Some common reasons include personal or family obligations, financial constraints, burnout or lack of motivation, or the need to focus on other academic priorities.

2. Will taking a semester off affect my progress in the physics program?

It depends on the individual's circumstances and the policies of their specific program. In some cases, taking a semester off may delay graduation or affect the sequence of required courses. It's important to discuss your plans with an academic advisor to understand the potential impact on your academic progress.

3. Can I still participate in research or internships during my semester off?

This will also depend on the individual's circumstances and the policies of their program. Some research or internship opportunities may require students to be enrolled in courses, while others may allow students to participate during a gap semester. It's best to discuss potential opportunities with your advisor or the program coordinator.

4. Will taking a semester off hurt my chances of getting into graduate school?

It's important to note that every graduate school has its own admissions criteria and policies. Taking a semester off may not necessarily hurt your chances, but it's important to maintain strong academic performance and have a clear explanation for why you took a gap semester. Some students may also use this time to gain relevant experience or pursue personal interests that can strengthen their graduate school applications.

5. How can I make the most out of my semester off from physics?

This is a great opportunity to explore new interests, gain experience in a different field, or pursue personal growth and development. Consider taking courses in related fields, volunteering, or interning in a different industry to broaden your skill set and enhance your resume. It's also important to take care of your mental and physical health during this time and use it as a chance to recharge and refocus for your future studies.