Calculating electical energy induction.

In summary, to calculate the current and voltage induced in the copper wire toroidal, we need to convert our units to the SI system and use the formulas B = μ₀NI/A, V = -N(dΦ/dt), and P = VI. We found that the current induced is 2.93 amps and the voltage induced is -18,622 volts. Using these values, we also calculated that the toroidal coil is generating 54,557 watts of power. I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.
magnetic-man
Hey you guys, I'm stuck on something here and need some help. Youve always come through for me in the past I hope this time too.

I want to calculate how much current and voltage I can induce in this copper wire toroidal.

The toroiodal. 1360 turns of awg 14. .068 average wire dia.
Mean toroidal radius is 29cm
coil radius is 5cm
the length of the toroidal coil is 120cm

The magnetic field strength used is 140,400 Gauss (Br max)
(Bh max 405 MGOe) 3,870 lbs pull force.
The orbiting fields cross the toroidal winds at 1750rpm.

Its like a big alternator.
Any help would be appreciated. Even if you have the formula I'l try to plug in my data and do the math.
Thanks again for all the help in the past.
Magnetic-man

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Magnetic-man,

I'm happy to help you with your calculations. The first thing you'll need to do is convert your units to the SI system, which is the standard for scientific calculations. The radius of your toroidal coil is 0.05 meters and its length is 1.2 meters. The average wire diameter is 0.00173 meters.

Next, let's calculate the area of the toroidal coil. Since it is a donut shape, we can use the formula A = 2π²rR, where r is the coil radius and R is the mean toroidal radius. Plugging in our values, we get A = 2π²(0.05)(0.29) = 0.091 m².

Now, let's calculate the magnetic flux density (B) at the center of the toroidal coil. We can use the formula B = μ₀NI/A, where μ₀ is the permeability of free space (4π x 10^-7), N is the number of turns (1360), I is the current, and A is the area. Since we are trying to find the current, we can rearrange the equation to I = BA/μ₀N. Plugging in our values, we get I = (140,400 x 4π x 10^-7 x 1360)/0.091 = 2.93 amps.

Next, let's calculate the induced voltage (V) in the toroidal coil. We can use the formula V = -N(dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux. Since we know the number of turns and the magnetic field strength, we just need to find the rate of change of magnetic flux. We can do this by multiplying the magnetic field strength by the area of the toroidal coil (B x A). Plugging in our values, we get V = -1360(140,400 x 0.091) = -18,622 volts.

Finally, let's calculate the power (P) generated by the toroidal coil. We can use the formula P = VI, where V is the induced voltage and I is the current. Plugging in our values, we get P = -18,622 x 2.93 = -54,557 watts. This means that the toroidal coil is generating 54

Hi Magnetic-man,

It sounds like you are working on a very interesting project! To calculate the electrical energy induction in your toroidal coil, you will need to use Faraday's Law of Induction. This law states that the induced voltage in a circuit is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the circuit.

To calculate the induced voltage in your toroidal coil, you will need to first calculate the magnetic flux through the coil. This can be done using the formula:

Φ = B x A x cos(θ)

Where Φ is the magnetic flux, B is the magnetic field strength (in Tesla), A is the area of the coil (in square meters), and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the coil's surface.

In your case, the magnetic flux will be changing as the magnetic field rotates around the toroidal coil, so you will need to take the average value of the magnetic field strength. This can be calculated by taking the maximum value of 140,400 Gauss and dividing it by 2, since the field will be changing from positive to negative as it rotates.

Next, you will need to calculate the area of the coil. This can be done using the formula for the area of a torus:

A = 2π^2 x r x R

Where r is the radius of the torus (5cm) and R is the mean radius of the toroidal coil (29cm).

Now that you have the magnetic flux, you can use Faraday's Law to calculate the induced voltage:

V = -N x ΔΦ/Δt

Where V is the induced voltage, N is the number of turns in the coil (1360), and ΔΦ/Δt is the rate of change of magnetic flux.

Finally, you can use Ohm's Law (V = IR) to calculate the current induced in the coil. Just plug in the value of the induced voltage you calculated and the resistance of the coil, which can be calculated using the formula:

R = ρ x L/A

Where ρ is the resistivity of copper (1.68 x 10^-8 Ωm), L is the length of the coil (120cm), and A is the cross-sectional area of the coil (calculated using the average wire diameter you provided).

I hope this helps you with your calculations. Best of luck with your project!

What is electrical energy induction?

Electrical energy induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by changing the magnetic field passing through it. This is also known as electromagnetic induction.

How is electrical energy induction calculated?

The calculation of electrical energy induction involves using Faraday's law of induction, which states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through a conductor. This can be represented by the equation EMF = -N(dϕ/dt), where N is the number of turns in the conductor and (dϕ/dt) is the rate of change of magnetic flux.

What factors affect electrical energy induction?

The amount of electrical energy induction in a conductor is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the conductor, and the speed at which the magnetic field changes. Additionally, the material and size of the conductor can also impact the amount of induction.

What is the unit of measurement for electrical energy induction?

The unit of measurement for electrical energy induction is the volt (V). This is because the induced EMF is measured in volts, which represents the amount of potential difference created in the conductor.

How is electrical energy induction used in everyday life?

Electrical energy induction has many practical applications in everyday life. It is used in power generation, electric motors, transformers, and many other electrical devices. It is also used in wireless charging technology for smartphones and other electronic devices.