Moment of inertia of a marble

In summary, a marble with a moment of inertia of 2.3 x 10^-8 kg.m^2 rolls down a 10cm incline and reaches a speed of 1.4m/s at the bottom. The derived formula for this scenario is Sqrt(10.g.h / 7). If you do not understand how to derive this formula, you can refer to a reference table for moment of inertia formulas.
lagwagon555

Homework Statement

A marble of moment of intertia 2.3 x 10^-8 kg.m^2 rolls down an incline of vertical height 10cm. It's speed at the bottom is:

1.2m/s
1.4m/s
1.2cm/s
1.4cm/s

Homework Equations

Well this isn't homework, this is just a worked example question we have. Apparently, the derived formula given is

Sqrt(10.g.h / 7)

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is, I don't know how to derive that formula. I missed a few lectures back, which I think this covers. I don't even recognise the phrase 'moment of inertia'. Unfortunately, I don't have a textbook to go over. If it's too difficult to explain over the forums, that's fine, I'll go and visit my professor. But if anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be a huge help. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi lagwagon555! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and an omega: ω and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

KE = ordinary KE (1/2 mv2) plus rotational energy (1/2 Iω2) …

but you need to understand moment of inertia properly first …

try the PF Library on https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=31" :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
lagwagon555 said:
The problem is, I don't know how to derive that formula.

Unless the syllabus of your course intentionally includes the calculus derivation of the moment of inertia formulas, you probably just go to a reference table to get that formula. You refer to a table of moment of inertia formulas by asking yourself these questions: What is the shape of the object? In your case, sphere. Is the object solid or hollow? In your case, solid. Where is the axis of rotation relative to the object? In your case, through the center. You scan all of the shapes and orientations in the table until you find that one, and you read off the formula that you will need.

1. What is the moment of inertia of a marble?

The moment of inertia of a marble is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of mass within the marble.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a marble calculated?

To calculate the moment of inertia of a marble, you need to know its mass and the distribution of mass within the marble. Then, you can use the formula I = MR², where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass, and R is the radius of the marble.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a marble?

The moment of inertia of a marble is affected by its mass and the distribution of mass within the marble. The shape and size of the marble can also affect its moment of inertia.

4. Why is the moment of inertia important in physics?

The moment of inertia is important in physics because it helps us understand how objects move and behave in rotational motion. It is also used in many equations and laws, such as Newton's second law of rotational motion.

5. How does the moment of inertia of a marble differ from that of other objects?

The moment of inertia of a marble differs from that of other objects because it is a small, solid sphere with a relatively uniform distribution of mass. Other objects may have different shapes and distributions of mass, which will affect their moment of inertia calculation.