Electron Flow: Positive to Negative?

In summary, the direction of current flow from positive to negative was established before the discovery of electrons and is arbitrary. It was later discovered that electrons are negative and actually flow from negative to positive. This is known as 'conventional current' and is attributed to Benjamin Franklin. It should be noted that in some cases, the current may be due to positive charges moving in the opposite direction or a mix of both positive and negative charges.
cragar
I am looking in my differential equations book , and it shows electricity flowing from the positive to the negative , this seems wrong to me ,
i thought electrons flow away form the negative to the positive , because like charges repel .

Physics news on Phys.org
The current is 'defined' to flow from positive to negative. This was established before people knew about electrons, and is actually completely arbitrary. It just turned out later that the electrons are negative and thus flow from negative to positive instead. We simply kept the direction of current as it was, so now, the direction of electron flow and the direction of the current are exactly opposite.

o i got ya

its called 'conventional current'.

it's benjamin franklin's fault (not a joke)

nice

Note that there are situations (like current in an electrolyte) where some of the charge carriers are positive. For most things it doesn't matter if a current is due to positive charges moving one way, negative charges moving the opposite, or a mix of both.

1. What is electron flow?

Electron flow is the movement of electrons from one point to another in a circuit or material. It is the flow of negatively charged particles from an area of high concentration (negative) to an area of low concentration (positive).

2. Which direction do electrons flow?

Electrons flow from the negative terminal of a power source to the positive terminal. This is known as conventional current, as it was historically thought that current flowed from positive to negative. However, in reality, electrons flow from negative to positive.

3. How does electron flow affect electrical devices?

Electron flow is what allows electrical devices to function. When electrons flow through a circuit, they carry energy and power the device. The direction and amount of electron flow can determine the functionality of the device.

4. What is the role of electrons in chemical reactions?

Electrons play a crucial role in chemical reactions. They are responsible for the transfer of energy and bonding between atoms. Electrons are shared or exchanged between atoms to form new molecules, and this process is essential for life and various chemical processes.

5. How is electron flow measured?

Electron flow is typically measured in amperes (A), which is the unit of electric current. Amperes measure the rate at which electric charge flows through a circuit. Other common units for measuring electron flow include coulombs per second (C/s) and milliamperes (mA).