HelpHow functions are driven from graphs?

In summary: So the equation is E=y+\frac{q^2}{2g*y^2} for some constant q and g.In summary, the conversation discusses the methods and equations used to derive equations from graphs. The graph in question has asymptotes of y=x and y=0, suggesting an equation of x=y+1/y. To find a general equation for this type of graph, the equation ax=ay+b/y^k is used, with constants a, b, and k. For the specific graph mentioned, the equation is E=y+(q^2)/2*g*y^2 for constants q and g. The conversation also mentions the possibility of finding this type of equation in a reference book.
gholamghar
Hello
my question is how and with which methods Equations are derived from graphs,for example the graph below is for specific energy in open channel flows,and the equation to it is :
E=y+(q^2)/2*g*y^2

how this equation has been obtained from the graph?
if in Excel you add a trendline to this figure and then you find the equation with Excel,the best it gives you is this:y = -0.0453*E^2 + 1.6595*E - 2.3539
and this is totally different with the above equation,
so how do they obtain equations from the graphs?
thanks

Attachments

• untitled1.JPG
    untitled1.JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
First, the word is "derived", not "driven" or "drove"- that's a whole different thing!

Second, the graph you show can't possibly be of the form "E=y+(q^2)/2*g*y^2". That gives a parabola with horizontal axis and this doesn't have a horizontal axis. Also if those two lines are asymptotes, the graph is not a parabola, although it can be a hyperbola. Assuming that the graph is a hyperbola with asymptotes y= x and y= 0, and center at (0,0), then we can rotate the graph clockwise by [itex]\pi/8[/itex] radians so that the axes are the E-axis and the y-axis. Now the asymptotes are [itex]y= tan(\pi/8)E)[/itex] and y= -tan(\pi/8)E)[/itex] and the equation is
[tex]tan^2(\pi/8)E^2- y^2= A[/tex]
for some positive number A. You can determine A by the requirement that Emin, yc satisfy that equation.

thank you for reply,i think you have read the equation i wrote in a wrong way,now i rewrite it:
E=(y)+(q^2)/(2*g*(y^2))
g=9.8 m/s^2
q=constant
y=height
E=energy
so it is not a parabola.
but is there any reference book that has different graphs and their equations?
i have a post here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=325862

i need to find the equation for the graph in that post,the graph is like two continuous Cosine digrams but with different amplitudes,is there any reference for these kind of problems?
thanks again

Last edited:
You are right- I did not see that the "[itex]y^2[/itex]" is in the denominator.

gholamghar said:
Hello
my question is how and with which methods Equations are derived from graphs

Since this graph isn't pretty conventional and nothing too absurd, you need to look at its features and simply use logic to solve them.
Since the graph has asymptotes of y=x and y=0, this means that as [tex]y \rightarrow \infty[/tex] then [tex]x \rightarrow y,0[/tex]

Such an equation that will accomplish this task is:

[tex]x=y+\frac{1}{y}[/tex]

notice how in the RHS, the fraction is what changes the entire structure of the graph. As [tex]y \rightarrow \infty[/tex] then [tex]\frac{1}{y} \rightarrow 0[/tex] so the graph tends towards y=x but as [tex]y\rightarrow 0[/tex] then [tex]\frac{1}{y} \rightarrow \infty[/tex] so now the graph tends towards y=0

but we need a general equation for this, and basically that would be:

[tex]ax=ay+\frac{b}{y^k}[/tex] for some constants a,b,k

for your graph, it is already given that a=1, [tex]b=\frac{q^2}{2g}[/tex] and k=2

What are the different types of functions that can be driven from graphs?

The different types of functions that can be driven from graphs include linear, quadratic, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions.

How do graphs help in understanding the behavior of a function?

Graphs provide a visual representation of a function, allowing us to see the relationship between the input and output values. This helps us understand how the function behaves and how its values change.

What is the purpose of a graph in a function?

The purpose of a graph in a function is to illustrate the relationship between the input and output values of the function. It helps us visualize the function and understand its behavior.

How do we use graphs to solve problems involving functions?

We can use graphs to solve problems involving functions by analyzing the graph and identifying key points such as intercepts, maximum and minimum values, and points of inflection. These points can help us find solutions or make predictions about the function.

Can graphs be used to determine the domain and range of a function?

Yes, graphs can be used to determine the domain and range of a function. The domain is the set of all possible input values for the function, while the range is the set of all possible output values. By looking at the graph, we can determine the values that are included in the domain and range of the function.