Physics Theories which have been found to be incomplete

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of finding a topic for a physics research paper on theories that have been found to be incomplete or inaccurate. Some suggestions were given, such as Newton's law of gravitation and the phlogiston theory, and examples of theories that have been replaced by better and more general theories were provided. There was also a brief discussion about thermodynamics and its relationship to statistical mechanics. Overall, the conversation provided a variety of ideas and perspectives on the topic.
JKropetz
I need a topic for a physics research paper on Physics Theories that have been found to be incomplete/inaccurate. Anyone out there that can throw an idea to me? Thank you for your time!

Justin

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you describe in more detail what you will be writing in this paper?

A good place to start might be Newton's law of gravitation, or more generally, some of the problems with Newtonian mechanics which were solved by relativity.

The class that I am taking is being offered at ITT Tech, Physics GE253 to be exact, getting back to the question you have for me sir, we are to write a 500 word report on a "Physics theory that was found to be incomplete or incorrect, how the problem was discovered and how a new theory was developed that ""Fixed"" the problem"

Look up the "phlogiston" theory. That's a good one.

All of them. There is no "theory of everything" so they are all incomplete.

If you want examples of theories that have been replaced by better and more general theories, here are a few:

- Newtonian mechanics, replaced by relativistic mechanics (or Galilean spacetime replaced by Minkowski spacetime).
- Thermodynamics, replaced by statistical mechanics.
- Newtonian gravity, replaced by general relativity.
- Classical ray optics, replaced by Maxwell's electrodynamics.

(The relationship between quantum physics and classical physics is very subtle, so don't do that unless you are willing to spend a lot of time thinking and reading about it.)

Last edited:
Wow, Thank you EVERYONE that responded to my post! I truly do appreciate your time and concern!

J

dx said:
- Newtonian mechanics, replaced by relativistic mechanics (or Galilean spacetime replaced by Minkowski spacetime).
- Thermodynamics, replaced by statistical mechanics.
- Newtonian gravity, replaced by general relativity.
- Classical ray optics, replaced by Maxwell's electrodynamics.

Maybe not thermodynamics?

atyy said:
Maybe not thermodynamics?

Why not?

dx said:
Why not?

Well, I was thinking that equilibrium stat mech produces the same results as thermodynamics - but just gives a different picture of reality.

Also, thermo is existence of temperature, conservation of energy, increase of entropy - all still good, I think. Maybe only the third law is not always true? And that "equilibrium" is subjective, since it just means steady over many times the time scale of the measurement.

kuruman said:
Look up the "phlogiston" theory. That's a good one.

I literally laughed out loud.

Superstring said:
I literally laughed out loud.

Especially when others in this thread discuss the ontological significance of thermodynamics.

The Caloric Theory of heat is a significant historical wrongness, following the heels of the lost phlogiston.

Einstein's cosmological constant in his original theory of general relativity?

An interesting story is how Faraday was poor at mathematics, so he documented his discoveries by making up the diagrams that show the "lines" of the electric field. (Somewhere around the year 1830.) Maxwell later restated Faraday's discoveries mathematically.

1. What are some examples of incomplete physics theories?

Some examples of incomplete physics theories include Newton's theory of gravity, which does not fully explain the behavior of objects at very high speeds or in extreme gravitational fields, and Einstein's theory of general relativity, which does not account for the behavior of subatomic particles.

2. Why are these theories considered incomplete?

These theories are considered incomplete because they do not fully explain or predict all observed phenomena. They may work well in certain situations, but fail to accurately describe others.

3. How do scientists deal with incomplete theories?

Scientists continue to study and test incomplete theories, looking for new evidence or experiments that may help improve or replace them. They also work to develop new theories that can better explain the observed data.

4. Are there any theories that have been proven to be complete?

No, there are currently no theories in physics that are considered to be complete. As our understanding of the universe continues to evolve, it is likely that even the most well-established theories will be refined or replaced.

5. How does the concept of "incompleteness" in physics impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of incompleteness in physics reminds us that our understanding of the universe is always evolving and that there is still much to learn. It also highlights the importance of continued research and experimentation in order to improve and refine our theories.