Can the existence of a limit at x = 0 for sqrt(x) be debated?

In summary, the existence of the limit of lim x->0 sqrt(x) is dependent on how the function sqrt(x) is defined for negative values. If sqrt(x) is defined to not exist for negative x, then the limit does not exist. However, if sqrt(x) is defined as a function with a domain of non-negative numbers, then the limit does exist and is equal to 0. This is because the left-hand limit does not exist, which means that sqrt(x) does not have a limit at x=0. Therefore, the existence of the limit is determined by the definition of sqrt(x) for negative values.
Caesar_Rahil
can someone please convince me that lim x->0 sqrt(x) = 0
Who of you say it doesn't exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you mean

[tex]
\lim_{x \to 0^+} \sqrt{x}
[/tex]

(limit as x approaches 0 through the positives), then the limit is zero. Notice that this is a one-sided limit.

This

[tex]
\lim_{x \to 0^-} \sqrt x
[/tex]

means you are trying to approach 0 from the left - through negative numbers. I feel confident in saying this limit does not exist. Why might that be?

Finally, remember that the ordinary limit exists as a real number if, and only if, the two one-sided limits exist as real numbers and are equal. The comment and observation I made earlier combine to say (fill in the blank yourself) about

[tex]
\lim_{x \to 0} \sqrt x
[/tex]

Caesar_Rahil said:
can someone please convince me that lim x->0 sqrt(x) = 0
Who of you say it doesn't exist?

HI Caesar_Rahil! :smile:

lim x -> 0+ sqrt(x) = 0, but lim x->0- sqrt(x) depends on you define sqrt(x) for negative x …

how are you defining it?

Do you define it as not existing, or do you define it as an imaginary number?

I'm confining myself to real valued functions
since left hand limit does not exit, that means sqrt(x) does not have a limit there
so it does not exist
is this interpretation correct?

Caesar_Rahil said:
I'm confining myself to real valued functions
since left hand limit does not exit, that means sqrt(x) does not have a limit there
so it does not exist
is this interpretation correct?

Yes … if you define sqrt(x) for negative x as not existing, then automatically there cannot be a limit at x = 0.

(On the other hand, if you define sqrt as a function whose domain is the non-negative numbers only, then the limit does exist. :wink:)

1. What is basic calculus?

Basic calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change, particularly in the form of rates and slopes. It involves two main concepts: differentiation, which is the process of finding the rate of change of a function, and integration, which is the process of finding the total accumulation of a function.

2. Why is calculus important?

Calculus is essential in many fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It provides a framework for understanding and solving problems involving change and optimization. Many real-world phenomena, such as motion, growth, and decay, can be described and analyzed using calculus.

3. Is calculus difficult to learn?

Calculus can be challenging for some people, but with proper instruction and practice, it can be understood and mastered. It is a complex subject that requires a solid foundation in algebra and trigonometry, as well as strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. What are some common applications of calculus?

Calculus has numerous applications in various fields, including physics (for studying motion and forces), engineering (for designing and analyzing structures), economics (for modeling supply and demand), and statistics (for analyzing data and making predictions).

5. Can calculus be used in everyday life?

While many people may not realize it, calculus has many practical applications in daily life. For example, it can be used to determine optimal routes for travel, calculate interest rates on loans, and even predict the weather. It also helps in understanding and making decisions based on trends and patterns in data.