Arithmetic with infinities

• Thread starter AxiomOfChoice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary, there are different ways to handle arithmetic operations with infinities, such as the extended real line and the real projective line. However, the operation \infty - \infty remains undefined in both cases, and using infinities in arithmetic comes at a cost of losing some properties of numbers. It is generally recommended to stick to the real number system unless the extended real line provides distinct advantages.
AxiomOfChoice
Am I correct in assuming that you can make sense of [itex]\infty + \infty[/itex] and [itex]\infty + c[/itex] for any [itex]c\in \mathbb{R}[/itex] (both evaluate to [itex]\infty[/itex]), but that we can make no sense of [itex]\infty - \infty[/itex]?

Are there any other arithmetic operations one can perform with infinities that are undefined?

Physics news on Phys.org
AxiomOfChoice said:
Am I correct in assuming that you can make sense of [itex]\infty + \infty[/itex] and [itex]\infty + c[/itex] for any [itex]c\in \mathbb{R}[/itex] (both evaluate to [itex]\infty[/itex]), but that we can make no sense of [itex]\infty - \infty[/itex]?

Are there any other arithmetic operations one can perform with infinities that are undefined?

What do you mean make sense of? I can define [itex]\infty -\infty = 8[/itex] if I want. We would lose some properties of our numbers, but there would be nothing contradictory about it. Usually we choose one of two approaches:
1) Never do arithmetic with infinities, but instead speak about infinity using the concept of limits (that is a number can't be [itex]\infty[/tex], but a sequence can approach [itex]\infty[/itex]).
2) Introduce some operations using infinity like you have. We normally call the set of real numbers together with [itex]\infty,-\infty[/itex] the extended real line. In the extended real line we have defined all the usual operations for all values except [itex]\infty - \infty[/tex], [itex]0\times(\pm\infty)[/itex], [itex](\pm \infty)/(\pm \infty)[/itex], and the real values at which they are normally not defined (such as 0/0). However it comes at a cost. For instance we can usually say that if a+b = a+c, then b=c (this is known as the cancellation law), but it's not true in the extended reals.

Personally I have only seen one use of the extended real line and that was in measure theory. Apart from that I think people should stick to the real numbers unless the extended real lines provides distinct advantages over the real number system.

EDIT: I may inadvertently have given the impression that the extended real line is the only way to add [itex]\infty[/itex], but this is wrong. Another common way is known as the real projective line. I'm not really familiar with this except as an example from topology so I haven't looked into its arithmetic properties, but it differs in the way that there is only one extra element ([itex]-\infty=\infty[/itex]). I still believe [itex]\infty - \infty[/itex] is left undefined though, but on the real projective line [itex]\infty+\infty[/itex] is also undefined. You can look it up on for instance Wikipedia if you want more in depth information.

Last edited:

1. What is arithmetic with infinities?

Arithmetic with infinities is a branch of mathematics that deals with numbers that are infinitely large or infinitely small. It involves operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division with these infinite quantities.

2. Are there different types of infinities in arithmetic?

Yes, there are different types of infinities in arithmetic, such as countable and uncountable infinities. Countable infinities are those that can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers, while uncountable infinities cannot.

3. How do you perform arithmetic operations with infinities?

The rules for performing arithmetic operations with infinities vary depending on the type of infinity involved. For example, addition and multiplication of two infinite quantities of the same type will result in a larger infinity, while division of an infinite quantity by a finite quantity will result in a smaller infinity.

4. Can you compare infinities in arithmetic?

Yes, infinities can be compared in arithmetic, but the comparison is not the same as with finite numbers. For example, there is no greatest infinity, as any infinity can always be made larger by adding one more element to it.

5. How is arithmetic with infinities relevant to real-world applications?

Arithmetic with infinities has many applications in fields such as physics, computer science, and economics. In physics, it is used to describe concepts such as infinite energy or infinite speed. In computer science, it is used in algorithms and data structures involving infinite sets. In economics, it is used to model economic theories involving infinite resources or infinite demand.