Where is the bridge between Calculus and Physics?

In summary, the conversation is about the confusion and lack of understanding in the connection between calculus and physics, specifically in regards to integrating equations and finding constants to remove from integrals. The conversation also touches on the use of integrals in electric fields and electric flux. The summary suggests seeking help from a professor and gaining a better understanding of line integrals and the fundamental theorem of line integrals before attempting to apply calculus to physics problems.
Josh930
I am soooo lost. I don't even know if this is the right forum. But where is the bridge between Calculus and Physics? I can Integrate equations, but when it comes to physics, i for one, don't know when to integrate; two, i don't see how you find the constants to remove from the integral; and three, Even given the integral formula for an equation, i still don't know what I am doing.

ex. Va-Vb=SE.dl

S-integral
E-Electric Field
dl-small segments of length

I don't know how to use the equation;

Or, electric flux,

Flux=SE . dA

What am i not understanding. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say you might want to review your Calc III notes about line integrals and flux integrals. You might have seen them in the following forms in your calculus class:

[tex] \int_C \vec F \cdot d\vec R[/tex]

[tex] \int\int_S \vec F \cdot d\vec S[/tex]

Pardon me for changing the subject but in this post I want to test putting a graphic in my post. If it works you should see bugs bunny.

http://math.asu.edu/~kurtz/bugs.gif

sry to disappoint... but, no bugs bunny. lol

what if i said i just started calculus II about a month ago. I can do integrals by sub, parts, but I am not seeing where they are used.

Josh930 said:
sry to disappoint... but, no bugs bunny. lol

what if i said i just started calculus II about a month ago. I can do integrals by sub, parts, but I am not seeing where they are used.

The integrals you are seeing in your class are generally introduced in calc III. So I would say you aren't ready for that Physics class yet because you don't have the proper prerequisites.

Josh930 said:
I am soooo lost. I don't even know if this is the right forum. But where is the bridge between Calculus and Physics? I can Integrate equations, but when it comes to physics, i for one, don't know when to integrate; two, i don't see how you find the constants to remove from the integral; and three, Even given the integral formula for an equation, i still don't know what I am doing.

ex. Va-Vb=SE.dl

S-integral
E-Electric Field
dl-small segments of length

I don't know how to use the equation;

Or, electric flux,

Flux=SE . dA

What am i not understanding. Please help

I'm assuming you are still in freshman physics classes. Unless your school is extremely competitive, you are not going to need to apply calculus seriously until your junior year. These questions you ask are extremely fundamental to success in physics once you reach that level however. I recommend you find a helpful professor to ask these questions of. These are the questions which are supposed to be answered by your calculus and physics classes.

so your equation:
[tex]
V_{2} - V_{1} = \int E \cdot dl
[/tex]

Is a consequence of the fundamental theorem of line integrals which you should of met in one of your previous calc courses. What it says is that if your vector field (in this case the electric field) can be written in terms of the gradient (the grad function from your calc courses) of some scalar potential (in this case your voltage). then the line integral of the vector field from point A to point B is equall to the difference of your scalar potential at points A and B.

I can sympathise with making that jump from relatively abstract calculus (esp integration) to applying it to physical problems - but as everyone else in the thread has said, if the maths that I've tried to explain is new to you then you may need to take a couple more calculus courses before you try and tackle this stuff.

1. What is the connection between Calculus and Physics?

The connection between Calculus and Physics lies in the fact that Calculus is a mathematical tool used to describe and analyze the physical world. It allows us to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems by using equations and models.

2. Why is it important to learn Calculus for studying Physics?

Calculus is essential for studying Physics because it provides the necessary mathematical tools to understand and analyze the concepts and principles of Physics. It helps to describe and predict the behavior of physical systems and phenomena accurately.

3. How is Calculus used in Physics?

Calculus is used in Physics to describe and analyze the motion, forces, and energy of objects and systems. It is used to calculate derivatives and integrals, which are fundamental concepts in Physics. Calculus is also used in the development and application of various physical laws and theories, such as Newton's laws of motion and the laws of thermodynamics.

4. Can you give an example of how Calculus is applied in Physics?

One example of how Calculus is applied in Physics is in the study of motion. Calculus allows us to calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object at any given point in time by using derivatives. It also helps us to understand the relationship between displacement, velocity, and acceleration through the use of integration.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong foundation in Calculus to understand Physics?

Having a strong foundation in Calculus is highly beneficial in understanding Physics. While it is possible to learn and apply certain concepts in Physics without a strong background in Calculus, having a solid understanding of Calculus makes it easier to grasp and apply more complex concepts in Physics. It also helps in problem-solving and making connections between different areas of Physics.