Is it possible for a single super-massive black hole

In summary, the possibility of a super-massive black hole appearing in two different places in the universe has been theorized, but so far no observational evidence has been found. Gravitational lensing allows for the same objects to be seen in different locations, but it is unlikely that an entire galaxy would repeat in this way. The idea that gravity could pull on a separate section of the universe is possible in higher dimensional versions of general relativity, but there is currently no observational evidence to support this. The concept of an object existing in two separate parts of the universe simultaneously due to intense gravity is more science fiction than science fact at this point.
Pattonias
Is it possible for the same super-massive black hole to appear/be visible in two different places in the universe? If not, what would the implications be if you could determine that this was possible?

I was wondering if anyone had made any theories regarding a phenomena like this being possible.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Pattonias said:
Is it possible for the same super-massive black hole to appear/be visible in two different places in the universe? If not, what would the implications be if you could determine that this was possible?

I was wondering if anyone had made any theories regarding a phenomena like this being possible.

Well it is possible, but so far no one has observed such a thing. Some cosmic topologies cause multiple images of space-time to appear at different parts of the sky, so you could get multiple images of a galaxy and its black-hole, but it wouldn't be just one galaxy that repeats. Unfortunately for the idea no such images have been seen in the Cosmic Microwave Background, so the characteristic size of the Universe must be bigger than the visible bit... and thus unobservable. We may never know.

I was wondering what effects a very large gravity could have on the fabric of space if it was curved. If the gravity could actually create a pull on a separate section of the universe if the folds were close enough and the gravity large enough.

Pattonias said:
I was wondering what effects a very large gravity could have on the fabric of space if it was curved. If the gravity could actually create a pull on a separate section of the universe if the folds were close enough and the gravity large enough.

Only if it folds over in hyperspace. Regular General Relativity can make no such prediction but higher dimensional versions which confine matter-fields to a 4-brane that is folded in higher dimensions allow gravity to travel between the folds. Currently there's no observational evidence that this happens, unless "dark matter" is somehow involved - perhaps all galaxies are really close together in hyperspace? But that seems unlikely since "dark matter" gravity seems to follow the distribution of "bright matter" very closely.

I guess when you start talking about these kind of things you start to dabble in the science fiction. It would be really neat if you could know one way or another, but their would really be no way to know I guess.

Pattonias said:

If you consider gravitational lensing then yes, this is possible, and the same objects have absolutely been observed in two different places in the Universe!

I have read about gravitational lensing and understand that it is a manipulation and magnification of the light around a very large gravity.

I guess I mean, can anything actually be in two separate parts of the Universe at the same time due to intense gravity or other phenomena? I'm not really meaning anything as pretty as a wormhole, but something operating on the same principle.

1. Is it possible for a single super-massive black hole to exist?

Yes, it is possible for a single super-massive black hole to exist. In fact, many galaxies are known to have a single super-massive black hole at their center.

2. How do super-massive black holes form?

Super-massive black holes are thought to form from the merging of smaller black holes and the accretion of matter over time. The exact process is still a topic of research and debate among scientists.

3. Can super-massive black holes consume entire galaxies?

While super-massive black holes can have a significant impact on their surrounding galaxy, they do not consume entire galaxies. The gravity of a super-massive black hole is only strong enough to affect the stars and gas in its immediate vicinity.

4. How do we detect super-massive black holes?

Super-massive black holes are detected through their effects on surrounding matter, such as the emission of high-energy radiation or the gravitational influence on nearby stars. Direct imaging of super-massive black holes is also possible using telescopes and advanced imaging techniques.

5. Can super-massive black holes ever die?

Currently, it is not known if super-massive black holes can die. Some theories suggest that they may eventually evaporate due to Hawking radiation, but this process would take an incredibly long time. Other theories propose that super-massive black holes may merge with one another, potentially leading to their demise.