Real and imaginary parts of an expression

In summary, the real and imaginary parts of an expression refer to the components that make up a complex number, with the real part represented on the horizontal axis and the imaginary part on the vertical axis in a graph. Splitting a complex number into its real and imaginary parts allows for easier manipulation and calculation, and is also used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. Additionally, both the real and imaginary parts can be negative in a complex number.
Physicslad78
can anyone tell me how to get the real and imaginary parts of the following function :

(x+ i y)* Log( a+i b) where x, y a and b are all real numbers and i =sqrt (-1).

Thanks very much

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Recall that Log(z) = ln|z| + iArg(z). When you write it like that, it is easy to separate the expression into real and imaginary parts.

1. What are real and imaginary parts of an expression?

The real and imaginary parts of an expression refer to the components that make up a complex number. A complex number is composed of a real number and an imaginary number, written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How are real and imaginary parts represented graphically?

The real part of a complex number is represented on the horizontal axis of a graph, while the imaginary part is represented on the vertical axis. The point where these two axes intersect represents the complex number in the complex plane.

3. What is the purpose of separating a complex number into real and imaginary parts?

Splitting a complex number into its real and imaginary parts allows for easier manipulation and calculation. It also helps to visualize and understand the properties of complex numbers.

4. Can real and imaginary parts be negative?

Yes, both the real and imaginary part of a complex number can be negative. In fact, the imaginary part is often denoted with a negative sign, as in a - bi.

5. How are real and imaginary parts used in real-world applications?

The concept of real and imaginary parts is used in a variety of fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. In engineering, complex numbers are used to represent AC circuits, while in physics they are used in quantum mechanics. In economics, complex numbers are used in financial models and forecasting.