Absorption bands on electronic spectra

In summary, absorption bands on electronic spectra refer to specific wavelengths of light absorbed by a molecule during absorption spectroscopy. They are measured using a spectrophotometer and can be affected by the electronic structure of the molecule, solvent, and other interactions. These bands provide valuable information about a molecule's electronic structure and chemical properties, and differ from other types of spectra as they involve the absorption of light by a sample and are related to electron energy levels.
TheTourist
I have several electronic spectra for different cobalt complexes which I need to analyse. I am fine with finding [tex]\lambda[/tex]max and the molar absorption coefficient etc. However it also asks me to mark absorption bands on the printout and tabulate [tex]\lambda[/tex]max values and absorbance values for these bands. I am unsure on how this should be done and where to mark the bands.

Physics news on Phys.org

What are absorption bands on electronic spectra?

Absorption bands on electronic spectra refer to the specific wavelengths of light that are absorbed by a molecule during absorption spectroscopy. These bands correspond to the transitions of electrons between different energy levels in the molecule.

How are absorption bands on electronic spectra measured?

Absorption bands on electronic spectra are measured using a spectrophotometer. This instrument measures the amount of light that is absorbed by a sample at different wavelengths, allowing for the identification of absorption bands and the determination of the concentration of the absorbing molecule.

What factors affect the position and intensity of absorption bands on electronic spectra?

The position and intensity of absorption bands on electronic spectra can be affected by several factors, including the electronic structure of the molecule, the solvent used, and the presence of other molecules that can interact with the absorbing molecule.

What is the significance of absorption bands on electronic spectra?

Absorption bands on electronic spectra provide valuable information about the electronic structure and chemical properties of molecules. They can be used for identification of compounds, determination of concentration, and investigation of chemical reactions.

How do absorption bands on electronic spectra differ from other types of spectra?

Absorption bands on electronic spectra are specific to absorption spectroscopy, which measures the absorption of light by a sample. Other types of spectra, such as emission or Raman spectra, involve the emission or scattering of light by a sample. Additionally, absorption bands on electronic spectra are related to the energy levels of electrons, while other types of spectra may involve vibrations or rotations of molecules.