Biology and the DNA/nucleotides Please help due tomorrow

• Thread starter seto6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biology
In summary, Erwin Chargaff discovered that DNA follows certain rules in its nucleotide composition, which can help organisms adapt to their environments. A research team collected two samples of bacteria from a hot vent and the surrounding ocean, and isolated DNA to determine its nucleotide composition. They then completed a table to determine the amounts of other nucleotides in each sample, and drew a linear stretch of DNA with complementary base pairs. The sample from the hot vent likely contained more hydrogen bonds, making it better adapted to the high temperature environment.
seto6

Homework Statement

Background
Erwin Chargaff discovered that although the nucleotide composition of DNA varies from one species to another,that composition always follows certain rules. While the variation in nucleotides helps to explain the complexity of life, the physical structure of the DNA itself can also help certain organisms adapt to particular environments. Imagine you are working with a research team sampling the ocean floor near a hot vent that releases a steady stream of
hot water. The hot water has a temperature of about 45°C, while the surrounding ocean has a temperature of 6°C.

Your team collects two samples of bacteria — one from the mouth of the hot vent, and one from the ocean floor about 20 m away. When you return to the lab, you isolate the DNA from these bacteria to determine their nucleotide composition. The table shows the results of your test for the adenine content of the DNA.

Apply what you have learned about Chargaff’s findings and
DNA composition to solve the following problems.

1. Complete the table to determine the amounts of the
other nucleotides found in each DNA sample.

2. For each DNA sample, draw a linear stretch of DNA
about 15 nucleotides long, with a nucleotide
composition that corresponds to its data set. With a
dotted line, illustrate the hydrogen bonds between
complementary base pairs.

3. Considering the bonds between base pairs, which
of these DNA samples is most likely taken from the
bacteria collected at the mouth of the hot vent?
Explain your answer.

50nvax.jpg

I filled out the stuff in the red

2. The attempt at a solution

I have a hard time doing the second question, which is to draw the thing, can you please help me, i try to then i get decimal stuff to draw such as since adenine is 31%, thus (.31)(30) = 9.3

how can i draw .3 of adenine. or am i doing something wrong, please help me with the second and the third question.

i got this assignment due tomorrow Please help, i would really appreciate it.

96hpmv.jpg

zrf3k.jpg

Please help, its due tomorrow. Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have everything you need, including a template for the drawing. For 2, Just approximate the ratio, you cannot draw .3 of any molecule. So you have 62% A/T to 38% G/C. You need a strand that is about 15 base pairs in length. So multiply 15 by 0.62 = 9.3 A/T pairs ≈ 9 pairs. The same for G/C, 15 by 0.38 = 5.7 G/C pairs ≈ 6 pairs. For 3, think about the hydrogen bond in water for example. What makes such a small molecule have such a high boiling point? The bond dissociation energy of hydrogen bonds. Now if you were a bacteria living in the hot vent, which composition would you want to survive? A base pair composition with more or less hydrogen bonds? Ask yourself the same question for the bacteria living away from the hot vent.

1. What is DNA and why is it important?

DNA, or deoxyribonucleic acid, is a molecule that contains the genetic instructions for the development and functioning of all living organisms. It is important because it carries the genetic information that determines an organism's traits and characteristics.

2. How is DNA structured?

DNA is structured as a double helix, which is made up of two strands of nucleotides that are twisted together. Each nucleotide contains a sugar molecule, a phosphate group, and one of four nitrogenous bases: adenine, thymine, guanine, and cytosine.

3. What is the role of nucleotides in DNA?

Nucleotides are the building blocks of DNA and play a crucial role in storing and transmitting genetic information. Each nucleotide contains a specific nitrogenous base, which determines the genetic code, and the sequence of these bases determines the instructions for the development and functioning of an organism.

4. How is DNA replicated?

DNA replication is a complex process that involves the separation of the two strands of DNA and the creation of two new strands using the existing strands as a template. This process ensures that each new cell receives an exact copy of the genetic information contained in the original DNA molecule.

5. What is the relationship between DNA and proteins?

The primary function of DNA is to store genetic information, while the primary function of proteins is to carry out specific functions within an organism. DNA provides the instructions for the synthesis of proteins through a process called protein synthesis, where the genetic code is transcribed into RNA and then translated into a specific sequence of amino acids to form a protein.