Do massive objects in space act as gyroscopes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the precision movement of massive objects in space, particularly focusing on the effect of gravity on their rotation and precession. While some spinning objects in space, such as the Earth, do precess, others, like neutron stars and black holes, may experience abnormal precession due to their extreme speed. The conversation also touches on the Gravity Probe B satellite experiment and the role of other massive bodies, such as the Moon and Sun, in causing the Earth's precession.
zewpals
I just learned about gyroscopes and their precision this year in Physics. I was just curious since massive objects in space tend to rotate around their own axes and have considerable gravitational forces, do they have a precision movement?

I understand the momentum vector will naturally want to move towards the torque vector But since gravity pulls on every direction of the space-time continuum with equal force, that torque would have a net force of zero, right? Therefore no precision?

And in cases of extremely fast spinning such as neutron stars and black holes...is there an abnormality in precession?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Angular momentum is conserved in space, just as it is here. For example, neutron stars spin so quickly because their radius has decreased. Also, your reasoning, that a uniform pull of gravity in all directions means no precession, is correct. However, some spinning objects in space do precess, such as the Earth. That's because gravity is not uniform in all directions on the Earth. The Earth's axis shifts about 1 degree every 72 years, just like a giant gyroscope.

zewpals said:
I just learned about gyroscopes and their precision this year in Physics. I was just curious since massive objects in space tend to rotate around their own axes and have considerable gravitational forces, do they have a precision movement?

I understand the momentum vector will naturally want to move towards the torque vector But since gravity pulls on every direction of the space-time continuum with equal force, that torque would have a net force of zero, right? Therefore no precision?

And in cases of extremely fast spinning such as neutron stars and black holes...is there an abnormality in precession?

Hi zewpals!

You may wish to learn about the Gravity Probe B satellite experiment, especially their Spacetime and Spin page.

After that you may be interested in the PF thread Alternative theories being tested by Gravity Probe B.

Happy reading!

Garth

Archosaur,
Yes I was familiar with the precession of the Earth but I never really connected it with being a gyroscope haha. Why does the Earth not pull in all directions equally? Is it because other massive bodies further away, such as the sun, pull back?

zewpals said:
Archosaur,
Yes I was familiar with the precession of the Earth but I never really connected it with being a gyroscope haha. Why does the Earth not pull in all directions equally? Is it because other massive bodies further away, such as the sun, pull back?

Well, the Earth is an oblate spheroid and not completely spherical, it has an equatorial bulge and even that is deformed into the Geoid. The gravitational tidal forces of the Moon and Sun apply torque as they attempt to pull the equatorial bulge into the plane of the ecliptic. The Moon's gravity acts on the non-spherical moment and causes the Earth to precess.

Garth

Garth said:
The Moon's gravity acts on the non-spherical moment...
What he said.

1. How do massive objects in space act as gyroscopes?

Massive objects in space, such as planets and stars, have a property called angular momentum. This means that they are constantly rotating or spinning around an axis. This rotation creates a gyroscopic effect, which causes these objects to maintain their orientation in space.

2. Can this gyroscopic effect be observed on a smaller scale?

Yes, the gyroscopic effect can also be observed on a smaller scale, such as with spinning tops or bicycle wheels. These objects have a smaller mass compared to planets and stars, but their angular momentum still causes them to maintain their orientation and resist external forces.

3. How does the gyroscopic effect of massive objects affect their motion?

The gyroscopic effect of massive objects can affect their motion in several ways. For example, the Earth's gyroscopic effect causes it to maintain its tilt and rotation, leading to the change of seasons. It also affects the orbit of satellites and other objects in space.

4. Do all massive objects in space act as gyroscopes?

No, not all massive objects in space act as gyroscopes. Only objects with a significant amount of angular momentum, such as planets and stars, have a noticeable gyroscopic effect. Smaller objects, like asteroids or comets, may not have enough angular momentum to exhibit this effect.

5. How does the gyroscopic effect of massive objects impact space exploration?

The gyroscopic effect of massive objects plays a crucial role in space exploration. It allows spacecraft to maintain their orientation and stability during long-distance flights. It also helps scientists to accurately predict the orbit of celestial bodies, making it possible to plan space missions and landings on other planets.