Feynman diagram for a strong interaction decay

The image attached shows the correct Feynman diagram for the process \Sigma^{++}_c \rightarrow \Lambda^+_c \pi^+. The quark composition for each particle is also provided. The question is why the C quark cannot be the one emitting the gluon. It is not due to Isospin conservation, as the u quark already has an isospin of 1/2 and the conservation is only for the total process. It is possible that the products would be different if the c quark emitted the gluon, such as a proton and a Kaon. However, this is not the case for this specific process.
Gal Winer
hey,

i want to find the lowest order strong interaction feynman diagram for the following process:
[tex]\Sigma^{++}_c \rightarrow \Lambda^+_c \pi^+[/tex]

the quark composition is:

[tex] \Sigma^{++}_c = (c u u) \ \Lambda^+_c = (c u d). \pi^+ =( \bar{d} u ) [/tex]
an image of a correct process is attached .

my question is: why can't the C quark be the one emitting the gluon?
my initial thought was Isospin conservation, as C doesn't carry isospin and the [tex] d \bar{d}[/tex] pair may have a [tex] I = 1 [/tex]. but the pair may also have a [tex] I=0 [/tex].

thanks for any help

Attachments

• fey.jpg
    fey.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 519
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it's Isospin, cause in the case of u, it's isospin is 1/2, we look for conservation of isospin only in total of all the process, i.e isospin in LHS should be the same as the RHS, not part of RHS with part of LHS.

But who knows...

I think that the case of c transmitting gluon would have different products, as in

[tex](u u d)+ (\bar{d} c)[/tex]
which is a proton and some Kaon I believe.

Any of the quarks can emit a gluon and result in the same final state.

1. What is a Feynman diagram for a strong interaction decay?

A Feynman diagram is a graphical representation used in particle physics to depict the interactions between subatomic particles. In the context of strong interactions, it shows the decay of a particle into two or more particles through the strong nuclear force.

2. How do Feynman diagrams help us understand strong interactions?

Feynman diagrams provide a visual representation of the complex interactions between subatomic particles. They allow us to calculate the probability of a particular interaction occurring and help us understand the underlying principles of strong interactions.

3. What are the key components of a Feynman diagram for a strong interaction decay?

A Feynman diagram for a strong interaction decay consists of lines representing particles, arrows indicating the direction of particle flow, and vertices representing the interaction between particles. It may also include labels for the particles and mathematical equations to calculate the probability of the decay.

4. How are Feynman diagrams for strong interaction decay different from other types of Feynman diagrams?

Feynman diagrams for strong interaction decay involve the strong nuclear force, while other types of Feynman diagrams may involve different forces such as electromagnetic or weak interactions. The structure of the diagram and the type of particles involved will also differ depending on the specific interaction being depicted.

5. Are Feynman diagrams for strong interaction decay always accurate?

Feynman diagrams are based on theoretical calculations and are used to make predictions about particle interactions. While they are a useful tool for understanding strong interactions, they are not always 100% accurate. Experimental data is needed to confirm the validity of the predictions made by Feynman diagrams.