Selection Rules for EM Dipole Radiation

In summary, the selection rules for EM dipole radiation require a change in parity and conservation of angular momentum with the initial and final states having a difference of one in both quantum numbers. This can be explained through the matrix elements of the dipole operator and the use of spherical harmonics. Additionally, using the recursion relation for Legendre polynomials, it can be shown that the change in angular momentum is always one.
Dumbleboar
hey,
I was asking myself a few questions about the selection rules for EM dipole radiation which occurs if electrons "jump" into lower bound states according to the selection rules.

now I know that the full explanation about matrix elements of the dipole operator comes from fermi's golden rule... which I will learn next semester... but apart from that...we have 2 considerations:

1) Parity... parity has to change... ok i got this
2) Conservation of angular momentum:
we have
ji=j[tex]\gamma[/tex] + jf
and we assume that
j[tex]\gamma[/tex]=1

WHY is this angular momentum 1??
I guess it has something to do that the cartesian components of the Dipole operator are proportional to linear compinations of the spherical harmonics Y1,m but I don't get this point at all...

I'd highly appreciate your help!
thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok Photons have Spin 1... therefore they have j=1

but i guess you can also explain it through expanding the dipole radiation into sperical harmonics and that only those with l=1 can express a dipole or something... could that be it?

Dumbleboar said:
but i guess you can also explain it through expanding the dipole radiation into sperical harmonics and that only those with l=1 can express a dipole or something... could that be it?

Yes, that's correct. I'll skip the derivation and just state that the matrix element for the dipole moment transition is:
[tex]\mathbf{r}_{n',n} = \int u_{n'}^*\sum_i\mathbf{r}_i u_n d\tau[/tex]
I.e. zero unless you have a mean change in location along some axis. (which is intuitive, right?)

Using the rationale from Bethe and Salpeter, the single-electron atom wave-function is:
[tex]u_{nlm} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}R_{nl}(r)P_{lm}(\vartheta)e^{im\phi}[/tex]

So using [tex]z = r\cos \vartheta[/tex], the matrix element for the transition on the z axis is:
[tex]z_{nlm}^{n'l'm'} = \int u^*_{n'l'm'}z u_{nlm} d\tau = \int_0^\infty r^2 R_{n'l'}(r)R_{nl}(r) dr * \int_0^\pi P_{l'm'}(\vartheta)P_{lm}(\vartheta)\cos (\vartheta)\sin (\vartheta) d\vartheta * \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{1}{2\pi}e^{i(m-m')\phi} d\phi[/tex]

The last integral will be zero unless [tex]m = m'[/tex], in which case it's exactly 1, so [tex]\Delta m = 0[/tex], and the second integral will vanish unless [tex]\Delta l = \pm 1[/tex] (a bit trickier, turn the legendre functions into the related spherical harmonics, one of which becomes [tex]l \rightarrow l \pm 1[/tex]. Then you have from the othogonality relations of spherical harmonics that the integral will be zero unless [tex]l = l' \pm 1[/tex])

And you can of course do the same for any other coordinate and arrive at the same rules.

Last edited:
The [tex] \theta [/tex] equation can be integrated using the following recursion relation

[tex] (2l+1)cos(\theta)P_{l,m}(cos(\theta)) = (l-m+1)P_{l+1,m}(cos(\theta))+(l+m)P_{l-1,m}(cos(\theta)) [/tex]

which shows that [tex] \Delta l = \pm 1 [/tex].

1. What are selection rules for EM dipole radiation?

The selection rules for EM dipole radiation refer to the conditions that must be met in order for an electric dipole to emit electromagnetic radiation. These rules are based on the conservation of energy and angular momentum in the system.

2. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance. It is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and is used to describe the behavior of electric fields and the emission of electromagnetic radiation.

3. How do selection rules determine the allowed transitions in EM dipole radiation?

The selection rules specify the conditions under which a transition between two energy states is allowed. These include requirements such as conservation of energy, angular momentum, and parity. If these conditions are not met, the transition will not occur.

4. What are some examples of selection rules for EM dipole radiation?

Some common selection rules include the requirement that the change in angular momentum between initial and final states must be equal to 1, and that the change in parity (odd or even) must be conserved. Additionally, transitions between states with significantly different energies are unlikely to occur due to the conservation of energy.

5. How do selection rules impact the spectrum of EM dipole radiation?

The selection rules play a crucial role in determining the lines and intensities of the spectrum of EM dipole radiation. As transitions that do not meet the selection rules are not allowed, the spectrum will only show lines corresponding to allowed transitions. This helps to explain the characteristic patterns seen in atomic and molecular spectra.