Estimating Flame Temperature: A Basic Guide

• Thread starter samblohm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary, To calculate the flame temperature, one can use the concept of heat balance and the adiabatic flame temperature. While a first law analysis can provide a rough estimate, a more accurate calculation would require taking into account factors such as heat capacity, dissociation, and radiative heat transfer. The most accurate method would be to conduct an experiment.
samblohm
How could someone roughly calculate flame temperature? Let's say that a chemical reaction occurs at 1000F and the specific heat capacity of the reactants averages to 8 J/(mol x K). And the energy released in the reaction was 1000 KJ and the specific heat capacity of the products in 3 J/(mol x K). I really don't see anything else necessary to calculate flame temperature, but I could definitely be wrong. Is is a simple equation or does it require some hardcore computer program?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
For a rough estimate heat balance should be sufficient. For a precise result there is nothing like an experiment. I guess engineers do have specialized formulas for such calculations.

I only looking for a rough estimate. What do you mean by heat balance? How could it be used for a rough calculation?

samblohm said:
What do you mean by heat balance?

This is a very basic concept, see for example

http://www.chem.latech.edu/~deddy/chem104/L5Calorie.htm

There are plenty of materials explaining these things on the web.

Same approach used to calculation of the flame temperature:

http://www.et.byu.edu/~rowley/ChEn273/Topics/Energy_Balances/Reacting_Systems/Adiabatic_Flame_Temp.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like you're after the adiabatic flame temperature, i.e. temperature with no heat transfer. As Borek stated you can determine the adiabatic flame temperature with a simple first law analysis within an accuracy of maybe 30%ish. To calculate a more realistic flame temperature you need to take into account variations in heat capacity, dissociation, radiative heat transfer, etc. This requires some complex code and I think some I think you can download for free. Of course the most accurate method is just to perform an experiment.

1. What is flame temperature?

Flame temperature is the temperature at which a flame burns, resulting from the chemical reaction between a fuel and an oxidizer.

2. How is flame temperature calculated?

Flame temperature can be calculated using the adiabatic flame temperature equation, which takes into account the enthalpy of combustion, the heat capacity of the reactants, and the heat capacity of the products.

3. What factors affect flame temperature?

The factors that affect flame temperature include the type of fuel and oxidizer, the stoichiometric ratio of the reactants, and the pressure and temperature of the surroundings.

4. Why is calculating flame temperature important?

Calculating flame temperature is important for understanding and controlling combustion processes, as well as for designing efficient and safe combustion systems.

5. Can flame temperature be measured directly?

Flame temperature cannot be measured directly, but it can be estimated using techniques such as thermocouples, optical emission spectroscopy, and infrared thermography.