Finding the centre of mass of a hemispherical shell

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for finding the center of mass of a hemispherical shell. The methods include expressing the area as a ratio of the total surface area and using cylindrical and spherical coordinates to find the center of mass. Another method involves projecting the area onto the curved surface of the hemisphere and using the uniform surface mass density of the hemisphere. Ultimately, all methods result in the center of mass being located at R/2.
clementc

Homework Statement

Hey everyone,
I'm studying for my physics and came across a question for the COM of a hemisphere. However, I was wondering what methods there are to find the COM of a hemispherical shell instead. Any insight would be very much appreciated! =)
After much of tearing Google apart in order to find a solution, I found 2, but was wondering if there were any more methods (I always like to find as many solutions as possible because it really helps me understand).

Homework Equations

I just learned integration in cylindrical and spherical coordinates, so I kinda know that:
[tex]x_\textrm {COM}=\frac{\int x dm}{\int dm} [/tex]
[tex]dA = r^2 \sin\theta\ d\theta\ d\phi [/tex]
[tex]dV = r^2 \sin\theta\ dr\ d\theta\ d\phi [/tex]
where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the polar angle, and [tex]\phi[/tex] is the angle about the equator (I learned it this way, but I think most people use [tex]\phi[/tex] as the polar angle instead)

The Attempt at a Solution

The 2 methods I found were:
1. Expressing dA as a ratio of the total SA, and this would be equal to the ratio of dm/M; i.e. that [tex]\frac{dA}{2\pi r^2} = \frac{dm}{M}[/tex] (OMG this TeXnology is so cool!)
ANYWAY so with this, you would be able to
  • find dm
  • find that [itex]z=r \cos \theta[/itex], where z is the axis passing through the apex and centre of the hemisphere.
and plug it all into the equation, giving R/2. YAY!

2. A bit more complicated but really nifty way was to call big radius [itex]R[/itex], and the one on the closer side of the shell [itex]\kappa R[/itex], where [itex]0\leq k\leq 1[/itex].
Then
[tex]\textrm {Total Volume} = \frac{2}{3}\pi R^3 (1-{\kappa}^3)[/tex]
Once again, [itex]z=r \cos \theta[/itex] and [itex]dV = r^2 \sin\theta\ dr\ d\theta\ d\phi \Rightarrow dm = \rho r^2 \sin\theta\ dr\ d\theta\ d\phi[/itex] where [itex]\rho[/itex] is density. From here, you can place into the formula, and end up with
[tex]\frac{3R(1-{\kappa}^4)}{8(1-{\kappa}^3)}[/tex].
Now, as [itex]1-{\kappa}^4 = (1-\kappa)(1+\kappa+{\kappa}^2+{\kappa}^3)[/itex] and [itex]1-{\kappa}^3 = (1-\kappa)(1+\kappa+{\kappa}^2)[/itex], you can simplify this.
For a spherical shell, you just take [tex]\lim_{\substack{x \rightarrow 1}}[/tex], and that gives you R/2 again!

Last edited:
Likes Delta2 and kuruman
Physics news on Phys.org
Those methods look good.

For fun, here's another way. Consider the figure below:
1656956429281.png

Let ##dA_{xy}## be an element of area under the hemisphere on the x-y plane. If you project that area up onto the curved surface of the hemisphere, you get a patch on the hemisphere with area ##dA_H = \large \frac{dA_{xy}}{\cos \theta}##, where ##\theta## is the angle between the normal vector ##\hat n## on the hemisphere and the z-axis. The z-coordinate of the patch is ##z = R \cos \theta##.

Let ##\sigma## denote the uniform surface mass density of the hemisphere. Then, $$z_{\rm cm} = \frac{1}{M} \int{z \, dm} = \frac{1}{M} \int {z \, \sigma \, dA_H} = \frac{\sigma}{M} \int(R \cos \theta) \frac{dA_{xy}}{\cos \theta} = \frac{\sigma}{M} R \int dA_{xy} = \frac{\sigma}{M} R \left(\pi R^2\right)$$

Using ##\sigma = \large \frac{M}{2 \pi R^2}## gives the result ##z_{\rm cm} = R/2.##

Likes PeroK and Delta2

What is the center of mass?

The center of mass of an object is a point that represents the average location of the mass of the object. In simple terms, it's the point where you can consider the entire mass of the object to be concentrated for the purpose of analyzing its motion.

How do you find the center of mass of a hemispherical shell?

Finding the center of mass of a hemispherical shell involves determining the point within the shell where the total mass is concentrated. Here are the steps to find it:

1. Define the hemispherical shell: Clearly define the properties of the hemispherical shell, including its radius \(R\) and uniform mass distribution.
  2. Divide the hemisphere into infinitesimal elements: Conceptually divide the hemispherical shell into infinitely small elements. Each element will have a mass \(dm\) and a position within the shell.
  3. Establish a coordinate system: Choose a coordinate system with an origin that is appropriate for the problem. A common choice is to place the origin at the center of the flat base of the hemisphere.
  4. Express the mass element \(dm\): Express the mass element \(dm\) in terms of its position within the hemisphere. This may involve spherical coordinates or other suitable coordinate systems.
  5. Calculate the coordinates of the center of mass: Use the mass element \(dm\) and its position to calculate the coordinates \((x_{\text{cm}}, y_{\text{cm}}, z_{\text{cm}})\) of the center of mass. The center of mass is given by the following formulas: \[ x_{\text{cm}} = \frac{1}{M} \int x \, dm \] \[ y_{\text{cm}} = \frac{1}{M} \int y \, dm \] \[ z_{\text{cm}} = \frac{1}{M} \int z \, dm \] where \(M\) is the total mass of the hemisphere.
  6. Simplify and solve the integrals: Integrate the expressions for \(x_{\text{cm}}\), \(y_{\text{cm}}\), and \(z_{\text{cm}}\) over the entire hemisphere to find their values.
  7. Obtain the center of mass coordinates: The values of \(x_{\text{cm}}\), \(y_{\text{cm}}\), and \(z_{\text{cm}}\) represent the coordinates of the center of mass of the hemispherical shell.

It's important to note that the actual calculations and integrations may vary depending on the specific problem and coordinate system used. The process described above provides a general approach to finding the center of mass of a hemispherical shell.

What factors affect the center of mass of a hemispherical shell?

The center of mass of a hemispherical shell is primarily determined by its geometric properties, such as the radius of the shell and the distribution of mass within it. Factors that affect the center of mass include:

• Radius (\(R\)): The size of the hemispherical shell, represented by its radius \(R\), directly affects the location of the center of mass. A larger radius results in the center of mass being farther from the origin.
  • Mass distribution: The distribution of mass within the shell can also influence the center of mass. If the mass is concentrated more toward one side of the hemisphere, the center of mass will shift in that direction.

Understanding these factors allows you to determine how changes in the radius or mass distribution affect the position of the center of mass within the hemispherical shell.

What is the practical significance of finding the center of mass of a hemispherical shell?

Finding the center of mass of a hemispherical shell is essential in various engineering, physics, and design applications. Some practical significance includes:

1. Stability Analysis:

In engineering and architecture, understanding the center of mass is crucial for designing stable structures. Knowing the center of mass helps engineers ensure that buildings, bridges, and other structures maintain balance and do not tip over.

2. Motion Analysis:

In physics and mechanics, determining the center of mass is vital for analyzing the motion of objects. It allows for the prediction of how objects will move and interact with forces, such as in projectile motion or celestial mechanics.

3. Transportation and Load Distribution:

In transportation and logistics, knowledge of the center of mass helps distribute loads evenly in vehicles like trucks, aircraft, and ships. Proper load distribution ensures safe and stable transportation.

4. Robotics and Automation:

In robotics and automation, finding the center of mass is crucial for designing robots that can move and perform tasks efficiently. Robots need balanced weight distribution to avoid tipping or instability during operation.

5. Astronomy:

In astronomy and astrophysics, the center of mass of celestial bodies plays a significant role in the study of planetary orbits, binary star systems, and the dynamics of galaxies. It helps astronomers understand the motion of celestial objects in the cosmos.

Overall, the center of mass is a fundamental concept that has practical implications in a wide range of fields where stability, motion, and balance are critical considerations.