Magnetic levitating spinning top

In summary, a magnetized spinning top is able to float over a magnetic bottom because of the gyroscopic forces and precession that prevent its magnetic field from aligning with the base. This allows the top to remain in an energy minima and levitate above the base. This phenomenon is not possible with a still-standing top and can be explained by Earnshaw's theorem. More information can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_stabilized_magnetic_levitation.
danielsvane
I was watching a youtube video about a magnetized spinning top, floating over a magnetic bottom.
I was wondering why this only works when the spinning top is spinning?
Can't a magnetic field be stable?
Would it still work with a stillstanding top, and the magnetic bottom rotating?

If you could explain some of the theory, or direct me to some online reading, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Daniel

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to refer you here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_stabilized_magnetic_levitation
Earnshaw's theorem does not allow for a static configuration of permanent magnets to stably levitate another permanent magnet or materials that are paramagnetic or ferromagnetic against gravity. This theorem does not apply to devices consisting of a properly configured magnetic base and corresponding top, however, because the non-static nature of the spinning top acts as a gyroscope to prevent its magnetic field from aligning itself in the same direction as that of the magnetic base (i.e.: via the top flipping). This gyroscopic property combined with the top's precession allows it to respond dynamically to the direction of the local toroidally shaped field of its base magnet and remain levitating about a central point in space above the base where the forces acting on the top (gravitational, magnetic, and gyroscopic) are in equilibrium thereby allowing the top to rest in an energy minima well.

Basically, the gyroscopic forces stabilise the magnet preventing it's magnetic field lines lining up with those of the base.

I didn't know this and so have learned something also. Very interesting.

What is a magnetic levitating spinning top?

A magnetic levitating spinning top is a type of toy that uses magnetic forces to keep the top suspended in the air while it spins. It is similar to a regular spinning top, but instead of using physical contact with a surface to maintain its rotation, it uses magnetic repulsion to float and spin in the air.

How does a magnetic levitating spinning top work?

A magnetic levitating spinning top works by using a combination of permanent magnets and electromagnets. The base of the top contains permanent magnets that create a magnetic field, while the top itself contains an electromagnet that is powered by a battery. The opposing magnetic forces between the two magnets keep the top suspended in the air and allow it to spin.

What are the benefits of playing with a magnetic levitating spinning top?

Playing with a magnetic levitating spinning top can help improve hand-eye coordination, concentration, and fine motor skills. It can also be a fun and educational way to learn about magnetism and physics. Additionally, it can be a unique and mesmerizing decoration for your desk or shelf.

Are there any safety concerns when playing with a magnetic levitating spinning top?

While playing with a magnetic levitating spinning top, it is important to keep small metal objects and electronic devices away from the top as they may interfere with its magnetic field. Additionally, make sure to read and follow all safety instructions provided with the toy, including any age restrictions, to ensure safe and proper use.

Can a magnetic levitating spinning top be used on any surface?

In order for a magnetic levitating spinning top to work properly, it needs to be used on a flat and smooth surface. Surfaces that are too rough or uneven may interfere with the magnetic field and prevent the top from spinning. It is also important to keep the top away from metal surfaces, as they can also disrupt the magnetic field and affect its performance.