IBM vs NASA Internship: Help Me Choose!

In summary: I'm glad I made the right decision!In summary, the individual is in a tough situation and needs help making a choice between two possible internships. The IBM internship involves working with a database of microprocessor simulation results while the NASA internship involves helping analyze a database of power management data. Both internships have great potential for the individual, but the individual ultimately decided to go with the NASA internship because it has a greater scientific potential.
cybernoodles
I'm in a tough situation and need help. I have the amazing opportunity to choose between and internship at IBM and an internship at NASA this summer. I know I'm in an great situation and probably can't go wrong either way, but I would still like to make the best choice and not just wing it. I ultimately want to go to grad school for something in Computer Engineering or Computer Science, namely robotics. The internship at IBM involves working with a database of microprocessor simulation results using SQL in IBM's Custom Microprocessor department, where they develop and test processors for major game consoles such as Xbox, PS3, and Wii. For NASA Ames Research Center, I would help analyze a database of power management data using MATLAB algorithms. The database information is coming from their Sustainability Base, a building developed by NASA that utilizes zero net energy, meaning it generates as much energy from renewable sources as it draws from he power grid:

http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/sustainability-base/index.html

I'd really love to hear from anyone that has worked at NASA ARC as an intern or IBM. It's a really tough choice for me because they both seem amazing and I'm glad to have a chance with either of them, let alone both of them at the same time. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
cybernoodles said:
I'm in a tough situation and need help. I have the amazing opportunity to choose between and internship at IBM and an internship at NASA this summer. I know I'm in an great situation and probably can't go wrong either way, but I would still like to make the best choice and not just wing it. I ultimately want to go to grad school for something in Computer Engineering or Computer Science, namely robotics. The internship at IBM involves working with a database of microprocessor simulation results using SQL in IBM's Custom Microprocessor department, where they develop and test processors for major game consoles such as Xbox, PS3, and Wii. For NASA Ames Research Center, I would help analyze a database of power management data using MATLAB algorithms. The database information is coming from their Sustainability Base, a building developed by NASA that utilizes zero net energy, meaning it generates as much energy from renewable sources as it draws from he power grid:

http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/sustainability-base/index.html

I'd really love to hear from anyone that has worked at NASA ARC as an intern or IBM. It's a really tough choice for me because they both seem amazing and I'm glad to have a chance with either of them, let alone both of them at the same time. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Congrats. They both sound really good. However, since you're goal is to go to grad school, I'd chose the NASA since its goal more scientific (analyzing power management) whereas the IBM internship is probability better suited towards a marketing goal (selling Xbox, PS3, etc game consoles)

If you wanted to work, say, for a software company like Google, right after, then I'd have chosen the IBM internship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help! I went with NASA =) deadline was today

1. What are the main differences between an IBM internship and a NASA internship?

The main difference between an IBM internship and a NASA internship is the focus of the work. IBM internships typically involve working on projects related to technology and business, while NASA internships focus on science and engineering related projects. Additionally, IBM internships may be more corporate and involve working in an office setting, while NASA internships may involve working in a lab or on-site at a NASA facility.

2. What are the benefits of an IBM internship?

Some of the benefits of an IBM internship include gaining valuable work experience in a corporate setting, networking with professionals in the technology industry, and potentially receiving a job offer after graduation. IBM also offers competitive pay and benefits for their interns.

3. What are the benefits of a NASA internship?

A NASA internship offers a unique opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects and contribute to groundbreaking research in the field of science and engineering. Interns also have the chance to collaborate with top scientists and engineers and gain hands-on experience in a professional environment. Additionally, NASA internships often offer competitive pay and may provide opportunities for future employment with the organization.

4. How do I decide between an IBM internship and a NASA internship?

The decision between an IBM internship and a NASA internship ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. If you are interested in technology and business, an IBM internship may be a better fit. However, if you are passionate about science and engineering and want to work on projects related to space exploration, a NASA internship may be the right choice for you. It is important to research both options thoroughly and consider your long-term career goals before making a decision.

5. Are there any specific qualifications or requirements for an IBM or NASA internship?

Both IBM and NASA internships typically require applicants to be enrolled in a degree program at an accredited university or college. Specific qualifications and requirements may vary depending on the internship position and project, so it is important to carefully review the job description before applying. Some internships may also have a minimum GPA requirement or specific skills or experience that are preferred. It is also important to have a strong academic record and relevant coursework for the internship you are interested in.