Medical physics postdocs in Australia

In summary, the individual is completing a PhD in medical physics and is planning to move to Australia after it ends. They are considering a sponsored position or a 'general skilled migration' visa. However, their lack of clinical experience may be an issue for the visa assessment guidelines. They are seeking advice on how to secure a job in Australia and apologize for the long post. The response suggests reaching out to potential employers and finding out their criteria for hiring international applicants. Additionally, they mention that two years of clinical experience and certification may make it difficult to find a post-doc position.
tommythecat
Hi everyone,

I'm coming to the end of a PhD in medical physics (ultrasound), due to complete in October 2011. My degree was in Physics with Medical Physics, and I also have an MSc in Radiation Physics with Medical Applications.

I'm looking to move to Australia, from the UK, shortly after my PhD ends, and would like some advice from the forum!

Whilst I am holding out for a sponsored position, whereby an employer tells the Australian government that they'll give me a job, this may not happen. Another option is to get a 'general skilled migration' visa, which entails some assessment by a professional body.

My problem is this - the assessment guidelines I have read (ACPSEM and AIR) request some clinical experience of the kind associated with, say, training/working in the NHS as a medical physicist. I have some clinical experience from research conducted in my PhD, but not to the same level as that.

So, does anyone on the forum have any advice on how a medical physics postdoc could go about getting over to Australia from the UK?

Apologies for the long post!

tommythecat

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have a whole lot of experience in immigration issues, but the first thing I would do is figure out where the jobs are, and initiate contact with the relevant people doing the hiring. Chances are they will have some experience with bringing people in from outside and have a specific set of criteria that you need to satisfy.

I highly doubt, for example, that you would be able to find someone with a couple of years of clinical experience willing to take on a post-doc role - two years of direct clinical experience in medical physics, particularly when coupled with certification will generally qualify you to make several times the annual salary of a post-doc.

1. What is a medical physics postdoc?

A medical physics postdoc is a research position in the field of medical physics, which combines principles of physics with healthcare to develop technology and techniques for the diagnosis and treatment of diseases.

2. What qualifications are required for a medical physics postdoc in Australia?

To be eligible for a medical physics postdoc in Australia, you typically need a PhD in medical physics or a related field, as well as relevant research experience and publications.

3. What are the job prospects for medical physics postdocs in Australia?

The job prospects for medical physics postdocs in Australia are generally good, as there is a growing demand for skilled medical physicists in the country's healthcare industry. However, competition for positions can be high, so having a strong research background and publication record is important.

4. What are the benefits of doing a medical physics postdoc in Australia?

There are several benefits to doing a medical physics postdoc in Australia, including access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, opportunities to collaborate with leading researchers and clinicians, and the potential for career advancement in the field.

5. Are there any funding opportunities for medical physics postdocs in Australia?

Yes, there are various funding opportunities for medical physics postdocs in Australia, including grants from government agencies, research institutions, and private foundations. It is also common for postdocs to receive a salary or stipend from their host institution. It is important to research and apply for funding opportunities early on in the postdoc application process.