Aeronautic engineer, what's the link with B.ed Physcis?

In summary, a recent graduate with a B.ed in Physics from a Nigerian university is interested in becoming an aeronautic engineer. They are wondering if their degree is enough to pursue this career or if there are any additional requirements. They are also considering a master's degree in Astrophysics or Astronomy. Some suggestions are to apply to an aerospace graduate program or to consider starting from the beginning with a bachelor's degree in engineering. Visa processing and finding the right school may also be a challenge.
oraclelive
Hello everyone, i just graduated from a Nigerian university with B.ed in Physics,but am more interested in becoming an aeronautic engineer. How is this possible? Though am very good with calculations (both in maths & physics) but has not had any tactical skills to that effect. I want to know what link does my degree has wrt achieving this aim? If not, what pre-requiste do i need to achieve it? Or where am i likely to take my Msc in?
Sorry for asking too many questions at a time. I was misguided in the pursuit of my degree so i need to redirect that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, I'm a fellow physics student as well.
I think it's easier the other way around, if you are an engineer but want to do a masters in physics,that is available. (Thats in UK). But if you want to be in aeronautical engineer, I'm afraid you have to start from ground zero. Do the bachelors again, but you are really interested in aeronautics, that can be achieved with Physics degree itself. Physics is a very board subject, so there is no doubt about you finding another way.

You can probably get into an aerospace graduate program with a physics degree. You might have to take a few engineering classes.

A visiting professor at my school actually recommended doing physics for undergrad and then doing aerospace graduate work.

Thanks pals. Now it seems unattainable with my present degree since i have to start from ground zero. How about a masters in Astrophysics or Astronomy? Can i do this with my B.ed Physics?

oraclelive said:
Thanks pals. Now it seems unattainable with my present degree since i have to start from ground zero.

Try applying to an aerospace graduate program if you want to do aerospace. You'll have to play catch-up on some of the engineering topics, though.

Depending on where you apply, you may or may not be accepted, but enough people with physics degrees go on to engineering graduate programs.

oraclelive said:
How about a masters in Astrophysics or Astronomy? Can i do this with my B.ed Physics?

Almost certainly, I would think.

That being said and duly understood, it brings me to the point of the challenge of searching for the schools and country which may offer me admission into aerospace program or astrophysics and of course not forgetting the subtlity of visa processing. Where then can one start?

I can't really help you with that as I'm not a grad student myself; my answers were based off of discussions with professors and grad students I know.

Jhae2.718: Ok.Thanks. But can we be more close friends other than forum mates?

1. What is the role of aeronautical engineers in the field of physics?

Aeronautical engineering is a specialized field of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and testing of aircraft and spacecraft. Physics is a fundamental component of aeronautical engineering as it helps engineers understand the principles of flight and aerodynamics. Aeronautical engineers use their knowledge of physics to create efficient and safe aircraft designs that can withstand the forces of flight.

2. How does a background in physics help in becoming an aeronautical engineer?

A background in physics is essential for a career in aeronautical engineering as it provides a strong foundation in the principles of mechanics, thermodynamics, and fluid dynamics. These concepts are crucial for understanding the behavior of aircraft in flight and the forces acting on them. A strong understanding of physics also helps aeronautical engineers in the design and testing of new aircraft and technologies.

3. Can someone with a degree in physics become an aeronautical engineer?

Yes, someone with a degree in physics can pursue a career in aeronautical engineering. However, additional education and training in aeronautical engineering may be required to gain the necessary skills and knowledge for this field. Many universities offer specialized programs that combine physics and aeronautical engineering courses to prepare students for this career path.

4. What are some specific areas of aeronautical engineering that require knowledge of physics?

Some specific areas of aeronautical engineering that require knowledge of physics include aerodynamics, propulsion systems, flight dynamics, and structural mechanics. In these areas, aeronautical engineers must apply principles of physics to design and analyze aircraft performance, stability, and structural integrity. Understanding the behavior of fluids and gases is also crucial for developing efficient propulsion systems and designing aerodynamic shapes for aircraft.

5. How is aeronautical engineering related to other branches of physics?

Aeronautical engineering is closely related to other branches of physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and fluid dynamics. It also has connections to other fields of engineering, such as materials science and electrical engineering. Aeronautical engineering relies on these branches of physics to understand and manipulate the physical forces and properties of materials that are critical for creating safe and efficient aircraft designs.