Advice for Italian Physics Student on Career Path

• Thread starter ITAphys88
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is an Italian student seeking advice on his career plan. He has a Bachelor's degree in Physics with research experience in micro/nanofabrication and is currently pursuing a Master's degree in Materials Science. He is considering a career in research, industry, or finance and is unsure whether to focus on computational or experimental work for his MSc thesis. He has a strong academic record, including top grades in high school and university, internships, bursaries, and other achievements. He also has strong skills in math, statistics, and computers, as well as proficiency in English and French. He is wondering if his CV is strong enough to be accepted into top-tier universities for graduate school.
ITAphys88
Hi everybody,

i am an Italian student who's seeking some advice in order to evaluate in a proper way his career plan for the future.

I have a Bachelor in Physics, 110 out of 110 summa cum laude (the highest grade with praise)
with a research experience in micro/nanofabrication at probably the most important italian research center on the topic, IOM- CNR.
I am currently working towards a Msc in Materials Science (in Milan) and i expect to graduate next year (around october) with 110/110 summa cum laude (my exam grades are really really good).

Granted that i seriously need to expatriate from Italy (which is a mess, no funds for research and development, no funds for schools, a stupid government and a horrible economy with 30% youth unemployment and low salaries), I'm still trying to figure out if i want to be a researcher or not (working in the industry or in finance).

my Msc thesis (during 9 months) is going to be about nanoelectronics or spintronics devices, but i have not decided yet if it's going to be computational (i have strong maths/statistics/computational skills) or experimental (as my Bsc thesis was).
which of the two is more appreciated by industries? and by the financial world (granted that i would like to do a numerate/computational Phd in Physics/Materials)?thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
i've got another question =)

with this kind of CV:

- max grades at High School (100/100)
- 2 months internship at a private "translation and interpreting" Office
- "Tech-Stage" summer school at Politecnico di Milano (during high school)
- five time winner of merit and income-based bursary (500 euros)
- max grades on both Physics Bsc at University of Modena and Materials Science Msc at University of Milano-Bicocca (110/110 summa cum laude)
- a 2 months internship at IOM - CNR, partially funded, as a part of Bsc Thesis.
- a 9 months research thesis (probably at MDM - CNR in collaboration with STMicroelectronics)
- six time winner of merit-based and merit and income-based University bursaries, ranging from 500 to 5000 euros
- merit and income-based tuition waivers awarded throughout my stay at University
- 2 years working in International Affairs Office of University
- 5 years private teaching and 5 years volunteering.
- Strong maths, statistics, computational (fortran and Matlab) skills
- Strong PC skills (web development, advanced ECDL, 3dsmax, AutoCAD, Linux)
- C1 in English, B1 in French
- Strong relationship and communicative skills

i'm probably forgetting something..

Can i have a shot to top-tier universities (both American and European), especially good graduate schools?? like worldwide top 10? top 20? top 50?

thanks a lot =)

1. What are the career options for Italian physics students?

Italian physics students have a wide range of career options to choose from. Some common career paths include research positions in universities or national labs, teaching positions in high schools or universities, and roles in industry such as data analysis, engineering, or consulting.

2. Is a PhD necessary for a successful career in physics?

While a PhD can open up more opportunities and higher positions in the field of physics, it is not always necessary for a successful career. There are many successful physicists who have only completed a bachelor's or master's degree. It ultimately depends on your career goals and interests.

3. What skills should Italian physics students focus on developing for their future career?

Aside from technical knowledge in physics, it is important for Italian physics students to also develop skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication. These skills are valuable in any career path and will help students stand out in the job market.

4. Are there any specific industries in Italy that are looking for physics graduates?

There are many industries in Italy that are open to hiring physics graduates, such as aerospace, energy, healthcare, and technology. It is important for students to research and network within their desired industry to find potential job opportunities.

5. How can Italian physics students stand out in a competitive job market?

One way for Italian physics students to stand out in a competitive job market is to gain practical experience through internships, research projects, or volunteer work. Additionally, networking and building professional relationships can also help students connect with potential employers and stand out in the job market.