Can anyone reccomed me a good algebra book?

In summary, if you took algebra 1 and 2 in high school, and you feel like you have a lower level of understanding in math than you used to, I recommend starting with the Pre-Algebra level on Khan Academy. If you cannot use the website, or if you are past pre-algebra, then I suggest borrowing "Forgotten Algebra" from your local library and trying to do every problem in it as fast as you can.
homeylova223
I am not sure where to post this so sorry if I posted in the wrong forum.

But my question is I took algebra 1 and 2 at high school but I forgot most it and my level of understanding in math is probably at the arithmetic level. Can anyone recommend me a good book for learning Algebra one for self study because I want to teach myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
homeylova223 said:
I am not sure where to post this so sorry if I posted in the wrong forum.

But my question is I took algebra 1 and 2 at high school but I forgot most it and my level of understanding in math is probably at the arithmetic level. Can anyone recommend me a good book for learning Algebra one for self study because I want to teach myself.

Hmm, well if you think you're at that level, I think you would want to start at the pre-algebra level. A great website for getting up to and even past Algebra I and II is http://khanacademy.org. You can watch as many videos as you want, each of them accompanied by exercises - topics include anything from math to economics to history. I'd start with the pre-algebra playlist, and then do some of the problems from the pre-algebra "worked examples" playlist. Then, if you feel you're ready to continue - you could definitely check out the Algebra playlist. NOTE: I realize this isn't a book, but it's very helpful.

Now, if you cannot for some reason use the Khan Academy website, I'm not sure of any books for Pre-Algebra. Any book that looks "decent" should be okay, actually. If you feel like you're past pre-algebra after skimming through a book or two, then move on to Algebra I and II topics.

Sullivan's Algebra & Trigonometry is the book I used to review basic algebra I and start moving towards Algebra II & Trig topics. This will take you through Algebra II and Trig, if you finish the (rather large) book, which can be found rather cheap on amazon used.

That should get you to where you want to be, I hope this has been of some help to you, coming from someone who just recently has finished these topics :)

You might try borrowing a copy of "Forgotten Algebra" from your library and try to do every problem in the book as fast as you can go and then do it all over again. That book was specifically written for people who knew this once and have forgotten it. Hopefully you will be surprised when you begin to remember this stuff.

1. What is the best algebra book for beginners?

The best algebra book for beginners would depend on the individual's learning style and needs. Some popular options include "Algebra: Structure and Method" by Mary P. Dolciani, "Algebra for College Students" by Mark Dugopolski, and "Algebra: Introductory and Intermediate" by Marvin L. Bittinger.

2. Can you recommend a good algebra book for self-study?

Yes, there are many great algebra books for self-study, such as "Algebra for Beginners" by Paul Foerster, "Algebra: A Complete Introduction" by Hugh Neill and Rachel Hill, and "Algebra Essentials Practice Workbook with Answers" by Chris McMullen.

3. Are there any algebra books that include practice problems?

Yes, most algebra books include practice problems, as solving problems is an important part of mastering algebra. Some books with a large number of practice problems include "Algebra: Introductory and Intermediate" by Marvin L. Bittinger, "Algebra 1: An Incremental Development" by John H. Saxon Jr., and "Algebra: Structure and Method" by Mary P. Dolciani.

4. What is the difference between a traditional algebra book and an interactive one?

A traditional algebra book typically presents material in a standard textbook format with explanations and exercises. An interactive algebra book may include multimedia elements, interactive activities, and online resources to enhance the learning experience.

5. Do you have any recommendations for an algebra book with real-world applications?

Yes, there are many algebra books that incorporate real-world applications to help students understand how algebra is used in everyday life. Some examples include "Algebra for College Students" by Mark Dugopolski, "Beginning Algebra: Connecting Concepts through Applications" by Mark Clark and Cynthia Anfinson, and "Algebra and Trigonometry: Real Mathematics, Real People" by Ron Larson and Robert Hostetler.