What is the Maximum Range of a Three-Man Water Balloon Launcher?

In summary, the maximum range for a water balloon launcher is determined by the length of the tubing, the weight of the balloon, and the tension on the tubing.
Phymath
hey what does everyone know/estimate one of those three man giant elastic water balloon launchers has as its k constant in hooke's equation F = -kx

im trying to figure out a max range for one of those for a given strech length x and a given mass m.

i did 1/2 m v^2 = 1/2 k x^2 -> v = sqrt(kx^2/m) then put that all in the projectile formula basic stuff, all this seem sound? or do u think that the mass/projectile will not recive all of the spring energy? idk let me know what u guys think.

Physics news on Phys.org
water balloon launcher

I am trying to work out the same thing with the goal of letting my students practice a little water balloon artillery. Try launching the balloon straight up. Calculate the total time of flight. take half the time and multiply that by 9.8 m/s/s that should be the speed at which the balloon hit the ground and the same speed that it left the launcher at. That should match your v from your PE = KE calculation. To veriffy. Launch the balloon horizontally from a given height. Calculate the time it will take for the balloon to fall from that height (d= .5(9.8m/s/s)t^2 gives you t = sqrt(d/2g).
Pull the balloon back the same distance you did on your vertical calculation and let the balloon fly horizontally. Multiply the time you get from calculating the vertical drop by your v from your other calculations and you should get where the balloon lands. If this works you can pulling to other lengths to see if you can get a value for k and then set up targets and work out the angle to hit them. Good luck let me know if this works.

These are made of latex rubber, so the "spring constant" isn't a constant.

Here is site with data for up to 300% strain (also used to launch radio control gliders).

http://www.hollyday.com/rich/hd/sailplanes/rubberdata.htm

For the heavy duty tubing, which is 24lbs at 300%, the tension is 27lbs at 350%. You can fill in the rest of the table with this info. I wouldn't go beyond 350%, because then a permanent stretch will result (or the tubing could break).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you launch a water balloon?

To launch a water balloon, you will need a slingshot or a water balloon launcher. Load the balloon into the slingshot or launcher, pull back and aim at your target, and release to launch the balloon.

2. How far can a water balloon be launched?

The distance a water balloon can be launched depends on various factors, such as the strength of the slingshot or launcher, the size and weight of the balloon, and the angle of launch. On average, a water balloon can be launched up to 100 feet.

3. What is the best type of water balloon for launching?

The best type of water balloon for launching is one that is small in size and has a round shape. This makes it easier to fit into the slingshot or launcher and provides a more aerodynamic shape for a farther launch.

4. How do you ensure the water balloon does not break upon launching?

To prevent the water balloon from breaking upon launching, make sure it is filled with the right amount of water. Too much water can cause it to burst, while too little water can hinder its trajectory. You can also reinforce the balloon by double-bagging it or using thicker balloons.

5. Is it safe to launch water balloons at people?

No, it is not safe to launch water balloons at people. It can cause injury, especially if the balloon is launched at high speeds or from a close distance. Always make sure to follow safety guidelines and have adult supervision when using a water balloon launcher.