Can anyone reccomend me a good calculus book?

In summary, the person is having difficulty with the integration by substitution lesson from the first four chapters of the book. They are looking for a book that they can self study from, and have found that cramster.com may have a solutions manual available.
homeylova223
I want to teach myself calculus but I am having an issue. I managed to make it past an entire 1000 page precalculus textbook and did most of the problems competently.Then I though I might as well move onto calculus.

I bought a old used edition of Ron Larson Calculus online cheaply. I managed to make it past the first four chapters of the book until I got stuck in the integration by substitution lesson.

Now I can do a couple of integration by substitution problems but the issue is that for the ones I can't do I have no way to complete them as I do not have a teacher or know anyone with enough time to help me solve multiple problems.

And since calculus is cumulative I can't just skip that lesson because all the topics are built upon one another. And now I am frustrated because it seems I cannot teach myself this subject.

My only hope is that someone can recommend me a good enough calculus book for self study and where I do not need any outside sources for help. Something with many example and the problems that are based upon the examples.

Physics news on Phys.org
This should be posted in textbook requests, but I'm not an admin so I don't care =]

I would suggest getting a solutions manual for the book. I am not sure if the book has a published solutions manual; I am not familiar with it. However, there is a good chance that cramster.com will have a good number of solutions worked out for free (you have to register, but that's it...check it out, regardless if a solutions manual exists).

The good news is that, because calculus is so wide-spread, you will likely be able to find everything you need on the net. MIT's open coursware video lectures are good (there are resources on their website too, see below).

However, I would first and foremost recommend a solutions manual (or cramster as a possible free alternative). I am not sure what your moral stance on downloading things illegally is, but if there is not a solutions manual that you can buy for your specific textbook, I would (personally) just download another text in e-book form along with the solutions manual for this book, and work similar problems in that text. If you don't frequently download things, and don't have a website that you can unwaveringly trust, I would not recommend you take this approach.

MIT OCW resources for calculus:

complete course -- MIT's webpage:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01-single-variable-calculus-fall-2006/

youtube lecture videos (this link is to the first lecture):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbIQW0gkgxo&feature=relmfu

These resources are great, but, again, nothing compares to a teacher/a good solutions manual for when you are stuck on a problem. I would stress you to look into the book's solutions manual.

edit: I just did a quick google search, and it looks like there IS a solutions manual for the book.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0547213093/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I would find the ISBN for the manual which corresponds to your edition, and move forward form there (ebay/amazon/wherever is cheapest).

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not make a post with the integrals that are bothering you?? I'm sure we can help!
Integrals are often a matter of knowing which tricks to use at which time. So if you've seen the trick once, you can often do it again. So if you ask us what you're having trouble with, then we can show you the trick!

heres one for $1.Calculus and analytic geometry (ISBN: 0201162903 / 0-201-16290-3)
George Brinton Thomas
Bookseller: MotorCityBooks.com
(Riverview, MI, U.S.A.)

Bookseller Rating:
Quantity Available: 1
Book Description: Addison-Wesley Pub. Co, 1984. Paperback. Book Condition: Good. Minimal damage to cover and binding. Pages show light use. Bookseller Inventory # G0201162903I3N00

Bookseller & Payment Information | More Books from this Seller | Ask Bookseller a QuestionPrice: US$ 1.00
Convert Currency
Shipping: US$ 2.95
Within U.S.A.
Destination, Rates & Speed

Try the Calculus for Dummies or Idiots. They are helpful in explaining the formulas and breaking them down for understanding.

Paul's Notes (online) or an old edition of Boyce and DePrima.

1. What are the top features to look for in a calculus book?

The top features to look for in a calculus book include clear and concise explanations, ample examples and practice problems, a variety of difficulty levels, and comprehensive coverage of topics.

2. Are there any recommended authors or publishers for calculus books?

Some popular and highly recommended authors for calculus books include James Stewart, Ron Larson, and Michael Spivak. As for publishers, reputable names include Pearson, McGraw-Hill, and Cambridge University Press.

3. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge in calculus before using a calculus book?

While prior knowledge in algebra and trigonometry can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a complete understanding of calculus before using a calculus book. Many books provide a review of necessary concepts and start from the basics.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement a calculus book?

Yes, there are many online resources available to supplement a calculus book. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Paul's Online Math Notes, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

5. How do I choose the right level of difficulty in a calculus book?

The right level of difficulty in a calculus book depends on your current knowledge and understanding of calculus. It is recommended to start with a book that covers the basics and gradually move on to more advanced topics as you become more comfortable with the material.