How do measure and know about the vast scale of the Universe?

In summary: As we do this, we build up a picture of the universe. The observable universe is only about 10^44 the size of a proton.
kyler.e
To start, I'm not at all knowledgeable in physics; completely ignorant. Now, I know I could go ahead and research this on my own, but I've always felt like asking an actual interactive human being is the best way to gain direction compared to a lifeless search engine or book.

So how do we know of the vastness of the macrocosm and microcosm alike?

From a philosophical standing, this absolutely boggles my mind, and stimulates my spirit.

Yes, I know because this is what we observe through our senses aided by instruments. But I would like just a little bit of direction to what I should research to thoroughly understand how we can come to perceive something so transcendent and beyond our self, from an integrated view that is both scientific and philosophical.

EDIT: Image replaced with link to avoid stretching thread. Ryan_m_b
http://www.kratosguide.com/wp-content/gallery/mind-pictures/earth-universe-comparison.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvTe1-a6Pdo"

How!? I want to know your perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
By recording previous peoples' efforts and building upon them we've come to our current viewpoint. Maybe correct, maybe not. Until we get a GUI no one knows for certain.

What direction should I point you to find out more about how we've come to these ideas?

College.

As particle physics and cosmology have merged into each other you can easily get lost in the parts. So I would recommend a book that provides an overview of all the sciences in a way that is not only lucid, concise and clear, but also gives one a taste for the history of science as well.

That book is Asimov's Guide to Science.

The observable universe is only about 10^44 the size of a proton.

kyler.e said:
To start, I'm not at all knowledgeable in physics; completely ignorant. Now, I know I could go ahead and research this on my own, but I've always felt like asking an actual interactive human being is the best way to gain direction compared to a lifeless search engine or book.

So how do we know of the vastness of the macrocosm and microcosm alike?

From a philosophical standing, this absolutely boggles my mind, and stimulates my spirit.

Yes, I know because this is what we observe through our senses aided by instruments. But I would like just a little bit of direction to what I should research to thoroughly understand how we can come to perceive something so transcendent and beyond our self, from an integrated view that is both scientific and philosophical.

How!? I want to know your perspective.

I don't see what you mean by an integrated scientific and philosophical view. I'm also not sure of you're question, are you asking how science as discovered these things?

More videos to blow your mind :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVjF_7ensg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U

A lot of this question comes down to the cosmological distance ladder. WE start with simple ways of measuring distance we KNOW work. We can measure it right here in our chairs. For example, we KNOW parallax works. That's an easy way to get the distances to closeby stars. From there, we can use OTHER qualities of stars to determine the distances to stars and galaxies too far for parallax. We keep building up on things we KNOW the distance to to find the distances to things even further away.

1. How do scientists measure the distance between objects in the Universe?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the distance between objects in the Universe, depending on the scale. For objects within our own solar system, they use radar or parallax measurements. For objects within our galaxy, they use the brightness of stars and the period of pulsating stars. For objects beyond our galaxy, they use standard candles such as Type Ia supernovae or the redshift of galaxies.

2. How do scientists determine the size and mass of celestial bodies?

Scientists use a combination of observations, mathematical equations, and computer simulations to determine the size and mass of celestial bodies. For planets and stars within our solar system, they use spacecraft measurements, gravitational interactions, and spectroscopy. For objects beyond our solar system, they use the brightness and temperature of stars, as well as their orbital motions and gravitational effects on nearby objects.

3. How do scientists know the age of the Universe?

Scientists use the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation and the expansion rate of the Universe to determine its age. The CMB is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang and its properties provide important clues about the age of the Universe. The expansion rate, also known as the Hubble constant, helps scientists calculate how long it has taken for the Universe to reach its current size.

4. How do scientists study objects that are billions of light years away?

Scientists use powerful telescopes and other advanced technologies to study objects that are billions of light years away. These telescopes can detect light from distant objects and break it down into different wavelengths to reveal important information about their composition, temperature, and motion. Scientists also use simulations and computer models to study the behavior of objects that are too far away to observe directly.

5. How do scientists know about the structure and expansion of the Universe?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study the structure and expansion of the Universe, such as galaxy surveys, gravitational lensing, and the CMB. By mapping the distribution of galaxies and measuring their movements, scientists can infer the large-scale structure of the Universe. Gravitational lensing, which is the bending of light by massive objects, can also provide insight into the distribution of matter in the Universe. Additionally, the CMB reveals the early conditions and evolution of the Universe, including its expansion rate.