Von mises smaller than tresca in calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with principal stresses and the von Mises and Tresca yield values. The poster is wondering if their method is correct and if there is a reason why von Mises stress is nearly 100 MPa less than Tresca. Other posters suggest double checking calculations and using separate analysis for each yield value.
kookie
hi every one.
i am struggling with the same problem. my principal stresses were the same as the guys above but my von mises σyeild=325MPa which is also smaller than the tresca hexagon σyield =421 MPa.
von mises = σ1^2+σ2^2-σ1σ2=(σyield/K)^2

i was wandering if this method was correct

p.s. is there a reason behind why vonmises's is nearly 100MPa lesser than tresca

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

kookie said:
hi every one.
i am struggling with the same problem. my principal stresses were the same as the guys above but my von mises σyeild=325MPa which is also smaller than the tresca hexagon σyield =421 MPa.
von mises = σ1^2+σ2^2-σ1σ2=(σyield/K)^2

i was wandering if this method was correct

p.s. is there a reason behind why vonmises's is nearly 100MPa lesser than tresca

Hi kookie, welcome to PF!

Please give the entire problem and your entire solution, and then you'll likely get useful comments. Nobody can know how you set up and performed the calculations otherwise.

I am also struggling on the same problem.

I have the tresca yield value as 421
and the von Mises value as 365

When i draw the loci it makes the von Mises elipse fit exactly inside the Tresca

bit confused

hey guys i found out through my lecturer that in that specific case it would be appropriate to draw two separate locis one for von mises and one for tresca and analyse the on them stresses seperately.

Good luck

I assume posts 1 and 3 refer to post https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=449446#post2996853". Please correct me if I am wrong.
kookie said:
PS: Is there a reason why von Mises stress is nearly 100 MPa less than tresca?

kookie: Yes. The reason is because you made a mistake. :smile: Tresca stress is never greater than 15.5 % greater than von Mises stress, as in post 3. See post 2 by Mapes.
russs91 said:
When I draw the loci, it makes the von Mises ellipse fit exactly inside the Tresca.

russs91: The maximum shear stress theory (Tresca) failure envelope (locus, hexagon) always fits inside the von Mises ellipse. Therefore, it appears you have something amiss. See post 2 by Mapes.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the difference between Von Mises and Tresca in calculations?

Von Mises and Tresca are two different yield criteria used in material strength calculations. While both are based on the maximum shear stress theory, Von Mises takes into account both normal and shear stresses, while Tresca only considers shear stresses.

Which yield criterion is more commonly used in engineering calculations?

Von Mises is more commonly used in engineering calculations because it is a more accurate representation of stress distribution and failure in materials compared to Tresca.

Why is Von Mises considered to be a more conservative yield criterion?

Von Mises takes into account both normal and shear stresses, which allows for a more comprehensive analysis of the stress state in a material. This results in a more conservative prediction of material failure compared to Tresca, which only considers shear stresses.

In what situations would Tresca be a more appropriate yield criterion to use?

Tresca is more appropriate in situations where the material being analyzed is ductile, as it is less likely to fail under shear stresses compared to brittle materials. It is also commonly used in plasticity analysis.

How do Von Mises and Tresca affect the design of a structure?

The use of either Von Mises or Tresca in calculations can have a significant impact on the design of a structure. Depending on the yield criterion used, the predicted failure points and safety factors will differ, leading to potential changes in the design and construction of the structure.