Going from phasor form to instantaneous time sinusoidal functions

In summary, the homework equations are Eulers equations that let you go from polar to rectangular. The Attempt at a Solution explains how to solve for the instantaneous time sinusoidal functions corresponding to the given phasors using V~ = -5exp(j*pi/3) and V~ = v(t). The solution to Part A and Part B is attached.
Lolsauce
So I'm currently reviewing for my electromagnetism class, but I do not remember the techniques from going to phasor to instantaneous time. Maybe someone can explain to me what is going on.

Homework Statement

Find the instantaneous time sinusoidal functions corresponding to the following phasors:My question is specifically on Part A and Part B

Homework Equations

Relevant equations includes Eulers:

c9f2055dadfb49853eff822a453d9ceb.png

Which let you go from polar to rectangular.

The Attempt at a Solution

For Part A, we are given V~ = -5exp(j*pi/3)

I just went straight from phasor to instantaneous time:

V~ = v(t) -> -5exp(j*pi/3) = Re{V~ * exp(jwt) = -5exp(jwt + pi/3)

But for some strange reason, in the solution manual they subtract pi from the exponential to remove the negative sign. I'm not exactly sure why they do this. It is the same for Part B, why do they subtract pi/2. Can anyone explain this to me? I've also attached the solution to part A and B below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, you need to multiply all your coefficients (voltages and currents) by √2. The transformed voltages and currents represent rms values. The time-domain ones obviously represent peak voltages.

OK, now realize that -1 = +1*exp(jπ) = +1*exp(-jπ). You don't want a negative sign in front of your time-domain voltage expression, it's meaningless. What counts is phase. -1V = +1V shifted 180 degrees.

Use Euler to convince yourself that -1 = exp(jπ) = exp(-jπ). Also that j = exp(jπ/2).

Subtracting π/2 from the exponent is subtracting 90 degrees from the phase shift. Multiplying any transformed voltage by j is equivalent to adding (or subtracting) π from the exponent. So you need to subtract π/2, then add π, to figure out part b.

Last edited by a moderator:
rude man said:
First, you need to multiply all your coefficients (voltages and currents) by √2. The transformed voltages and currents represent rms values. The time-domain ones obviously represent peak voltages.

OK, now realize that -1 = +1*exp(jπ) = +1*exp(-jπ). You don't want a negative sign in front of your time-domain voltage expression, it's meaningless. What counts is phase. -1V = +1V shifted 180 degrees.

Use Euler to convince yourself that -1 = exp(jπ) = exp(-jπ). Also that j = exp(jπ/2).

Subtracting π/2 from the exponent is subtracting 90 degrees from the phase shift. Multiplying any transformed voltage by j is equivalent to adding (or subtracting) π from the exponent. So you need to subtract π/2, then add π, to figure out part b.

Thanks for the reply, so you are saying that the the subtraction of the ∏ phase in part is to get rid of the negative. Meaning if I add ±∏, I should get the same answer since it shifts the negative to positive phase either way. That means:

5exp(j(4∏/3 + wt)) should also be correct? Yes?

Yes, but convention is to never exceed pi/2 in magnitude.

So exp(-2pi/3) is more conventionally expressed as exp(pi/3) etc.

I can offer some insight into why the solution manual subtracts pi or pi/2 from the exponential in the phasor form to instantaneous time conversion.

First, let's review the concept of phasors and instantaneous time sinusoidal functions. Phasors are complex numbers that represent the amplitude and phase of a sinusoidal function. They are useful in analyzing AC circuits because they simplify the calculation of complex quantities such as voltage and current. On the other hand, instantaneous time sinusoidal functions represent the actual time-varying behavior of the AC signals.

Now, in order to go from phasor form to instantaneous time, we use the Euler's formula, which relates the exponential function to trigonometric functions. In this case, we are using the complex exponential form, which is e^(jwt). This form represents a sinusoidal function with an amplitude of 1 and a phase of wt.

In the solution manual, they subtract pi or pi/2 from the exponential in order to adjust for the initial phase angle given in the phasor form. This is because in the phasor form, the phase angle is measured with respect to the positive real axis, whereas in the instantaneous time form, the phase angle is measured with respect to the positive imaginary axis. Subtracting pi or pi/2 shifts the phase angle by the appropriate amount to align it with the positive imaginary axis.

In Part A, the initial phase angle is pi/3, so subtracting pi from the exponential aligns the phase angle with the positive imaginary axis. Similarly, in Part B, the initial phase angle is pi/2, so subtracting pi/2 from the exponential aligns the phase angle with the positive imaginary axis.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the technique of going from phasor form to instantaneous time sinusoidal functions. Remember to always keep track of the initial phase angle and adjust the exponential accordingly. Good luck with your studies in electromagnetism!

What is the purpose of converting from phasor form to instantaneous time sinusoidal functions?

The purpose of this conversion is to represent a complex sinusoidal signal in terms of its amplitude, frequency, and phase at a specific point in time. This allows for easier analysis and manipulation of the signal in time domain.

What is the difference between phasor form and instantaneous time sinusoidal functions?

Phasor form represents a sinusoidal signal as a complex number with a magnitude and phase, while instantaneous time sinusoidal functions represent the signal as a function of time with the amplitude, frequency, and phase as parameters.

What are the steps involved in converting from phasor form to instantaneous time sinusoidal functions?

The steps involved include finding the magnitude and phase of the phasor, determining the frequency and converting it to angular frequency, and using the values to construct the instantaneous time sinusoidal function in the form of A*sin(ωt + φ).

What are some applications of converting from phasor form to instantaneous time sinusoidal functions?

This conversion is commonly used in electrical engineering, particularly in the analysis and design of AC circuits and systems. It is also utilized in signal processing, communications, and control systems.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when converting from phasor form to instantaneous time sinusoidal functions?

Some common mistakes include not converting the frequency to angular frequency, forgetting to include the phase in the final function, and using the wrong sign for the phase angle. It is important to carefully follow the steps and check for any errors in the calculations.