The Need for Drivers in CD-ROMs and Peripherals

• Thread starter FulhamFan3
  • Start date
In summary: Hard drive. No drivers needed.Just because a device is standardized doesn't mean that there are no drivers required. For example, there are drivers for CD-ROMs, but they are not needed for floppy drives. Floppy drives and hard drives require drivers because they are so important for booting up the computer. Just because a device is standardized doesn't mean that there are no drivers required.
FulhamFan3
How come floppy drives and hard disk don't need any drivers whereas CD-ROMs and other peripherals do?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Check your device manager: hard drives and floppies do require drivers, its just that since they are so important to booting, they are all the same. CD-Roms have made the jump to that level of standardization and now no longer require special drivers to operate - they all use the same drivers in windows and all are capable of being booted from.

My question was more specific to the boot up. Like why floppy drives could read when you turn on the computer but cd-roms needed special drivers. Anyway, you answered my question.

However why have floppy drives never been bigger than 1.44 MB?

I had seen Sony floppy with 2.8 MB in singapore, but it was not popular.
Now all people are using thumbdrive, floppy is only usefull for boot up.

FulhamFan3 said:
However why have floppy drives never been bigger than 1.44 MB?

There have been floppy drives bigger than 1.44 MB. They just never really caught on. Initially they didn't often that much of a size advantage over 1.44 MB disks, and they usually cost more per byte than just buying the equivalent amount of 1.44 MB disks.

Windows OS comes loaded with many generic drivers that it can use if an official driver isn't present.

Windows OS is not present at system power-on.

No. A system without an operating system can still access disk drives (floppy, cd-rom, etc). Device drivers are not needed for basic I/O functions such as floppys, cd-roms, keyboard, moniter, etc. This is done through the BIOs which is why you have access to these drives during system power-on even if an operating system isn't present.

After the BIOs loads and finishes POST it looks for the MBR (Master Boot Record) to see if a operating system is present on the HDD. If it finds one, it begins to load the OS. If it doesn't, it nags.

However, through my experience, some devices (cd-rom's usually) can be a royal pain in the arse without drivers.

Ryan

Edit: And I don't know why I said 'No'. But I'm leaving it there for personal reasons. :)

Your ethernet card (some manufs.) will work also without an OS. Check your card if it is PXE compliant then you can boot from the network. Really handy for doing remote OS refreshes or installs

Last edited:
And USB too - as time goes by, more and more devices get standardized and written into bios.

i just bought a seagate 250 GB. Huge!

1. What is the role of drivers in CD-ROMs and peripherals?

Drivers are software programs that allow the operating system to communicate with and control hardware devices, such as CD-ROMs and peripherals. They act as a translator between the hardware and the operating system, allowing the device to function properly.

2. Why do we need drivers for CD-ROMs and peripherals?

Drivers are necessary because each hardware device has its own set of specifications and protocols that need to be understood by the operating system. Without drivers, the operating system would not be able to communicate with the device and utilize its functionality.

3. How do drivers for CD-ROMs and peripherals work?

Drivers work by using a standardized interface called an Application Programming Interface (API) to communicate with the operating system. When a device is plugged in, the operating system will search for and load the appropriate driver to enable communication with the device.

4. Can drivers for CD-ROMs and peripherals be updated?

Yes, drivers can be updated to improve performance, fix bugs, or add new features to the device. Manufacturers often release updated drivers for their products, and they can be downloaded and installed from their website or through the operating system's update feature.

5. What happens if I don't have the correct driver for my CD-ROM or peripheral?

If you do not have the correct driver for your device, it may not work properly or at all. It is important to make sure you have the correct driver installed for your specific device to ensure optimal performance and functionality.