How is LaTeX implemented on this site?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter DivGradCurl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the person is designing a website where they plan to post notes from their studies and wants to know how to implement LaTeX for displaying equations. They have considered using latex2html but prefer a different approach. They are also working on a flash website. Suggestions for implementing LaTeX include learning PHP or using a desktop math typesetting program to create images. Another option is to write notes in TeX and post them as PDFs. This forum uses custom-written PHP to convert LaTeX code into images for display.
DivGradCurl
I'm designing my website, where I plan to put up notes of whatever I'm studying. Since it would be really nice to place ideas as I do here at physicsforums.com, my question is: how do I implement LaTeX in my site?

I've read about latex2html, but it is not really the approach I intend to follow. Hopefully, there are other ways. I'm working on a flash website.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.
:smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\pi[/itex]
Look at the source for this post

It's probably just a script that's called from the post-parser that runs the latex "code" and saves it as a png file.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. Well, it sounds like I got to learn PHP to do all of this... right?

Last edited:
thiago_j said:
Thanks for your input. Well, it sounds like I got to learn PHP to do all of this... right?

An alternative to using server-side scripting is using a desktop math typesetting program like MathType to create images. I believe you have to register that particular program after 30 days, but I am sure there are other programs out there that are free. :smile:

You ought to just write your notes in TeX and put pdfs on your site. That'd be the easiest route.

Yes, this site uses custom-written server-side PHP to pass stuff inside [ tex ] tags to latex, then to dvi2ps, then to a modified pstoimg. It spits out a png file, which is then dropped into a folder for storage.

- Warren

Yes, I agree with you that it's just easier to put up pdf's; that's what I'm going to do for the time being. Anyhow, I'll try to learn more about PHP server-side scripting. Thank you guys for your advice. :smile:

1. What is LaTeX and how is it used on this site?

LaTeX is a typesetting system that is commonly used in scientific and technical writing. It allows for the creation of professional-looking documents with complex equations and symbols. On this site, LaTeX is implemented to format mathematical equations and expressions in a visually appealing and consistent manner.

2. Do I need to know LaTeX to use it on this site?

No, you do not need to have prior knowledge of LaTeX to use it on this site. The site has a built-in LaTeX editor that allows you to type in your equations using simple commands and it will automatically generate the corresponding LaTeX code for you.

3. Can I customize the appearance of my equations using LaTeX on this site?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your equations using various LaTeX commands. You can change the size, color, font style, and alignment of your equations to suit your needs. The site also offers a guide on how to use these commands effectively.

4. Can I use LaTeX for non-mathematical content on this site?

Yes, you can use LaTeX for non-mathematical content on this site. While LaTeX is primarily used for typesetting mathematical equations, it can also be used for formatting text, creating tables, and inserting graphics. However, it is recommended to use it only for complex equations and not for basic text formatting.

5. Is there a limit to the length or complexity of equations that can be written using LaTeX on this site?

There is no specific limit to the length or complexity of equations that can be written using LaTeX on this site. However, it is recommended to keep the equations concise and readable for the sake of clarity. If your equation is too long or complex, it may be better to break it down into smaller parts for better understanding.