Dynamics physics help please

In summary: Also, check your signs. The forces are acting in opposite directions, so the equation would be:Fnet = Fa - Ffma = FnetWhere m is the mass of the car, a is the acceleration, Fa is the applied braking force, and Ff is the frictional force. You should be able to solve for the initial velocity using this equation and the given data.In summary, the given problem involves a 1350 kg car on a washed out bridge with a coefficient of friction of 0.55. The skid marks of the car are 100 meters long and the question asks for the initial velocity of the
shubham1
Dynamics physics urgent help please!

Homework Statement

A 1350 kg car narrowly avoids running off of a washed out bridge. The coefficient of friction between the car and the road is 0.55. If the skid marks are 100 meters long, what was the initial velocity of the car?

Homework Equations

Fg = mg
Ff = coefficient x Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

Find Fg
Find Ff
Find acceleration
Find final velocity

Physics news on Phys.org

shubham1 said:

Homework Statement

A 1350 kg car narrowly avoids running off of a washed out bridge. The coefficient of friction between the car and the road is 0.55. If the skid marks are 100 meters long, what was the initial velocity of the car?

Homework Equations

Fg = mg
Ff = coefficient x Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

Find Fg
Find Ff
Find acceleration
Find final velocity
shubham1, you'll have to show a bit more of an attempt. What have you tried? Show us what you've tried so we can know how to help you.

d = 100m
v = 0 m/s (final)
u = ? m/s (initial)

a = Look in your book for an equation relating the coefficient of friction to the mass of the object.

What is one of the kinematic equations you know relating acceleration, displacement, and velocities?

Important info I forgot to mention: Applied braking force is 9500 N.
I am not sure which way is the Fnet.
I found Fg, which is 13230 N downwards.
I found Ff which is 7276.50 backwards.
I found acceleration which is 12.427 N backwards.
However, my teacher told me to make the Fnet positive, but which way is the Fnet? Is it where the friction is? and also, is the Fa opposite to the Ff.

Fnet is probably the net force, which is going forwards. The braking force is what is slowing down the car, which is why your acceleration is going to be negative, as you said you found acceleration to be "backwards". So if acceleration is going this way <--- and is negative, and Fnet should be positive, it should be going ---> this way.

Fnet=ma
If a is negative (backwards), then shouldn't Fnet also be negative.

I think you're going to have write out what these symbols mean before it gets confusing.

This isn't as complicated as it looks, have you first considered the equation you will be using to solve for the initial velocity? When you know what equation you will use, it will be a lot clearer.

For sloving initial velocity, I will use Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad

Acceleration = F/m

Where F = frictional force.

You claimed your acceleration was 12N backwards, how did you get 12 Newtons for acceleration? The unit for acceleration is not Newtons.

Sorry, I meant 12.427 m/s^2 backwards.

I basically did:

Fnet = Fa + Ff (sum of all the forces)
ma = -Fa - Ff
(1350)(a) = -9500-7276.50
a = -12.427 m/s^2 backwards

If the skid marks are 100 meters long,

You are not using this data

1. What is dynamics physics?

Dynamics physics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects and the forces that cause them to move. It involves analyzing the relationships between forces, mass, acceleration, and velocity.

2. What are some common applications of dynamics physics?

Dynamics physics is used in many areas, such as engineering, mechanics, and aerospace. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of objects in motion, such as cars, planes, and projectiles.

3. How is dynamics physics different from kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause it. Dynamics physics, on the other hand, focuses on analyzing the forces that affect an object's motion and how they change over time.

4. What are some key principles in dynamics physics?

Some key principles in dynamics physics include Newton's laws of motion, conservation of momentum, and work-energy theorem. These principles help explain the relationship between forces and motion.

5. How can I improve my understanding of dynamics physics?

To improve your understanding of dynamics physics, it is essential to practice solving problems and working through examples. Also, make sure to thoroughly understand the underlying principles and concepts, and don't be afraid to ask for help or clarification when needed.