Solving for linear mass density of a string

In summary, to solve for the linear mass density of a string in terms of L, T, and the slope of the frequency vs. number of segments plot, you can use the equations v=√(T/μ) and v=(2Lf)/n. By solving for μ in the first equation and substituting the derived value for v in the second equation, you can obtain the equation μ=T/((df/dn)*2L)2. This will give you the linear mass density in terms of L, T, and the slope of the graph.
AToMic93
HELP: Solving for equation of linear mass density of a string

Homework Statement

You will plot frequency vs. number of segments and determine a slope. Write the expression which will allow you to solve for the linear mass density of the string in terms of L, T, and the slope of your plot

Homework Equations

1) μ=M/L
2) T=2∏√(m/k) ?
3) λ=2L/n
4) df/dn=?
5) k=2∏/λ

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I've done is take equation 2 solve for m which is m=(T/2∏)2*k, with substitution from equation 5, then substitution from equation 3 to get the equation:
m=(T2*n)/(4∏L) which I substituted into equation 1 to get:
μ=(T2*n)/(4∏L2)
So so far I have the equation in terms of L and T but not in terms of the slope of my plot which would be df/dn.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So I completely redid the problem a different way and I think this is right. Let me know if it is or not:
Equations:
1) v=√(T/μ)
2) v=(2Lf)/n

Attempt at solution:
Solve equation 1 for μ=T/v2, then solve equation 2 for f=vn/2L. Then derive f equation to get in terms of df/dn (slope of graph)= v/2L, solve for v, v=(df/dn)*2L and plug into the equation for μ to get μ=T/((df/dn)*2L)2.
This works right?

1. What is the formula for solving for linear mass density of a string?

The formula for linear mass density of a string is: ρ = m/L, where ρ is the linear mass density, m is the total mass of the string, and L is the length of the string.

2. How do you measure the length of a string in this formula?

The length of the string can be measured in any consistent unit, such as meters or centimeters. It is important to use the same unit for both the length and mass measurements in order to get an accurate result.

3. Can this formula be applied to any type of string?

Yes, this formula can be applied to any type of string as long as the string is uniform and has a constant mass per unit length. Examples of strings that this formula can be used for include guitar strings, rope, and cable.

4. How can you determine the mass of a string?

The mass of the string can be determined by weighing the entire string on a scale or by using the density of the material the string is made of and calculating the mass using the formula m = ρL.

5. What are the units for linear mass density?

The units for linear mass density can vary depending on the unit used for mass and length. Some common units include kg/m, g/cm, or lb/ft. It is important to use consistent units in order to get an accurate result.