Energy physics help: Finding spring constants

In summary, a spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring, represented by the letter "k" and measured in units of force per unit distance. It can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the displacement of the spring. The spring constant is directly proportional to the potential energy stored in a spring. It can change depending on the material and dimensions of the spring, and can also be affected by temperature through thermal expansion.
sisi17
viewer.png

The question gives me a graph of spring 1 and spring 2 (which I will attach to the post) and it asks me what are the springs constants. I have no idea how to find the spring constants. I know that the Potential Elastic equation is (1/2)k(x^2), but I don't know where to start with looking at this graph! Please help!
It's question 1a.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

E=1/2k(x^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hooke's Law:

[tex]F = -kx[/tex]

Knowing that, can you find the constant?

1. What is a spring constant?

A spring constant, also known as a force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is represented by the letter "k" and is measured in units of force per unit distance, such as N/m.

2. How do you calculate the spring constant?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the displacement of the spring. This can be represented by the equation k=F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement.

3. What is the relationship between spring constant and potential energy?

The spring constant is directly proportional to the potential energy stored in a spring. This means that as the spring constant increases, the potential energy also increases. The relationship can be represented by the equation PE=1/2kx^2, where PE is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

4. Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on the material and dimensions of the spring. It can also change if the spring is stretched or compressed beyond its elastic limit.

5. How does temperature affect the spring constant?

Temperature can affect the spring constant by altering the properties of the material the spring is made of. For example, an increase in temperature can cause the material to expand, resulting in a decrease in the spring constant. This is known as thermal expansion and can be taken into account when calculating the spring constant.