Find work given mass, acceleration, and time.

In summary, a 510 kg helicopter with an acceleration of 2.3 m/s^2 ascends from the ground over a 5.5 second interval. Using the equations f=m(a) and d=.5(a)t^2, it can be determined that the lifting force is 1173N and the distance traveled is 34.7875m. Using the equation W=F(d), the work done by the lifting force is found to be 40805.74J.

Was this question helpful?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gshaq Pierre

Homework Statement

A 510 kg, light-weight helicopter ascends from the ground with an acceleration of 2.30 m/s^2.
Over a 5.50 s interval, what is the work done by the lifting force?

a=2.3m/s^2
m=510kg
t=5.5s

Homework Equations

f=m(a)
d=.5(a)t^2
W=F(Cosθ)*d

The Attempt at a Solution

Find force = m(a) = 510kg*2.3m/s^2 = 1173N

Find distance = .5(a)t^2 = 34.7875m

use this force and distance in w=f(d) to find work (in Joules):

1173*34.7875 = w
w = 40805.74J

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok this is fairly simple, if the helicopter travels at a speed of 2.3m/s^2 and it traveled for 5.5 seconds, then how many meters did it travel in that 5.5 seconds? That is the distance.

I'm not going to ask you to do it for me, but using the equation above, I already solved for distance. Unless that is the wrong equation.

1. How do I find work given mass, acceleration, and time?

To find work, you can use the formula W = m * a * t, where m is the mass, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. What are the units for work when using mass, acceleration, and time?

The units for work are typically joules (J) when using mass in kilograms (kg), acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s^2), and time in seconds (s).

3. Can I use different units for mass, acceleration, and time?

Yes, as long as the units are consistent, you can use different units for mass, acceleration, and time. Just make sure to convert them to the appropriate units before plugging them into the formula for work.

4. What does the work equation represent?

The work equation represents the amount of energy required to move an object a certain distance, given its mass, acceleration, and the time it takes to move.

5. How can I use the work equation in real-life situations?

The work equation can be used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the amount of energy needed to lift an object, the power output of a machine, or the force required to move an object at a certain speed. It is a fundamental equation in physics and can be applied in various fields, such as engineering, mechanics, and sports.