What size does electromagnet has to be to imitate the power of neodymium magnet?

In summary, the speaker is an interface designer who occasionally works on product and concept design. They are currently working on a project that requires a matrix of electro magnets and are seeking information on the topic. They experimented with a 1x1x1cm neodymium magnet and found it to be the perfect size. However, they now need to know how large an electromagnet needs to be to have similar power. They are aware that different ways of measuring strength and variations in neodymium magnets may affect the answer. They are hoping for a theoretical answer from someone experienced in the subject, and will collaborate with a professional in the future.
yakuz
Hello all,

I am interface designer that occasionally steps out and does some product/concept design. The last one I am working on is something that would require me to make a matrix of little electro magnets, and i am just starting to inform my self about all that. I loved electrical engineering and physics when i was in elementary school and high school but afterwards in college unfortunately i grew apart from it because of the other interests i developed. For the project I am playing with right now i used 1x1x1cm neodymium magnet for experimenting, and it did job just perfect, i tried bigger i tried smaller, but this one is perfect.
The problem is that i need an electromagnet to do the same thing in future. (probably lots of them)

The question is, how large does an electromagnet needs to be in volume to have the same/similar power as neodymium magnet sized 1x1x1cm.
Or even better question, how small can it be, because i really need it small but powerful :)

The point of the question is just for me to hear someone experienced on the subject with some theoretical answer (Because i assume it will be enough for this stage of exploration). The real work will be done in collaboration with some professional guy just like you that i will look for if i decide to dive into all this.

Now i am aware of the fact that there are probably different ways you can measure one magnets strength, and that not all neodymium magnets are same so it can't be treated as a constant, but i would just like to know in general, is it like 2ccm electromagnet or is it like 20ccm electromagnet.

I hope this post is not too long, and really looking forward to some answers i can get here.
btw, i am very sorry if i missed the forum my guess was it belongs here, even though after searching the forum i found some stuff concerning this (but not an answer) in "general physics"

Thanks a lot in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
do you already know the answer?

1. What is the difference between an electromagnet and a neodymium magnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire, while a neodymium magnet is a permanent magnet made of a combination of neodymium, iron, and boron. The strength of an electromagnet can be adjusted by changing the amount of current flowing through the wire, while the strength of a neodymium magnet is fixed.

2. How does the size of an electromagnet affect its power compared to a neodymium magnet?

The size of an electromagnet does not directly affect its power compared to a neodymium magnet. The strength of an electromagnet is determined by the amount of current flowing through its coil, while the strength of a neodymium magnet is determined by its composition. However, a larger electromagnet may be able to carry more current, resulting in a stronger magnetic field.

3. What factors determine the size of an electromagnet needed to imitate the power of a neodymium magnet?

The size of an electromagnet needed to imitate the power of a neodymium magnet depends on several factors, including the strength of the neodymium magnet, the desired strength of the electromagnet, the material and size of the core used in the electromagnet, and the amount of current available to power the electromagnet.

4. Can an electromagnet ever be as powerful as a neodymium magnet?

In theory, an electromagnet can be made as powerful as a neodymium magnet by increasing the amount of current flowing through its coil. However, this would require a large amount of energy and may not be practical in most cases. Additionally, the strength of an electromagnet is temporary and can only be maintained while current is flowing through the coil, while a neodymium magnet's strength is permanent.

5. Are there any advantages to using an electromagnet over a neodymium magnet?

While neodymium magnets are known for their strong magnetic field, there are some advantages to using an electromagnet instead. For example, the strength of an electromagnet can be easily adjusted by changing the amount of current flowing through the coil, making it more versatile. Additionally, the magnetic field of an electromagnet can be turned on and off by controlling the current, while a neodymium magnet's field is always present.