Is independence indpendent on measure?

In summary, the question is whether it is possible for two sigma-algebras to be independent under one measure but not independent under another. The definition of independence for a measure is explained and an example is given to illustrate how different measures can affect the independence of sigma-algebras.
tunaaa
Is it possible that 2 sigma-algebras could be independent under one measure but not independent under another?

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
tunaaa said:
Is it possible that 2 sigma-algebras could be independent under one measure but not independent under another?

Many thanks.

Hey tunaaa and welcome to the forums.

I don't know much about measure theory so maybe you could give us the definition of independence for a measure. I've heard about decomposing measures into orthogonal parts but I don't think this is what you are asking about.

chiro said:
Hey tunaaa and welcome to the forums.

I don't know much about measure theory so maybe you could give us the definition of independence for a measure. I've heard about decomposing measures into orthogonal parts but I don't think this is what you are asking about.

He probably means independence wrt a probability measure. This is defined as follows: take a probability space [itex](\Omega,\mathcal{F},P)[/itex] and take [itex]\mathcal{B}_1[/itex] and [itex]\mathcal{B}_2[/itex] sigma-algebra's which are part of [itex]\mathcal{F}[/itex]. They are independent if for every [itex]B_1\in \mathcal{B}_1[/itex] and [itex]B_2\in \mathcal{B}_2[/itex] holds that

[tex]P(B_1\cap B_2)=P(B_1)P(B_2)[/tex]

Like the definition suggests, the measure P is critical here. If we have another measure on [itex](\Omega,\mathcal{F}[/itex], then independence must not hold.

For example, look at [itex](\Omega,\mathcal{F})=(\mathbb{N},\mathcal{P} (\mathbb{N}))[/itex] and take [itex]P_1[/itex] uniquely defined by [itex]P_1(\{0\})=1[/itex]. Further, take [itex]P_2[/itex] uniquely define by [itex]P_2(\{0\})=P_2(\{1\})=1/2[/itex].

Then {0} and {1} (which generate sigma-algebras) are independent for [itex]P_1[/itex], but dependent for [itex]P_2[/itex].

Many thanks

I can say that independence is a mathematical concept that is independent of the measure being used. In other words, the independence of two events or sets is not affected by the choice of measure. Therefore, it is possible for two sigma-algebras to be independent under one measure but not under another. This is because the independence of two sigma-algebras is determined by their structure and not the measure being used.

1. What is independence?

Independence refers to the state of being free from outside control or influence. In scientific terms, it is the absence of a relationship or connection between two variables.

2. How is independence related to measurement?

The concept of independence is often used in statistical analysis to assess the relationship between two variables. It is important to determine if the variables are independent of each other in order to accurately interpret the results of a study or experiment.

3. Can independence be measured?

No, independence cannot be directly measured as it is a concept that describes the absence of a relationship between variables. However, statistical tests and measures can be used to determine the level of independence between variables.

4. Is independence always desirable in scientific research?

Not necessarily. While independence is important in some types of research, there are also cases where variables may be related and studying this relationship is the main focus of the study. In these cases, independence is not desirable.

5. How do researchers ensure independence in their studies?

Researchers can ensure independence in their studies by carefully selecting and measuring variables, using appropriate statistical tests, and controlling for any potential confounding factors that could influence the results.