Will my medical degree make a difference?

In summary, an undergraduate degree in medicine takes about 7 years. You would then need to study for a master's degree and/or a PhD.
you_live_once
I will earn my bachelor's degree in medicine in two years.
Studying medicine here starts right after high school, it takes about 7 years and we study subjects related to medicine from the get go (Histology, Anatomy, Physiology, etc) so I studied physics only in high school.

(I'm self-studying physics and math now using textbooks for undergraduates).

So my question is, to what extent is my degree going to help me study physics in the US (or in other countries)? Will I have a bigger chance of getting accepted? or will it be nothing special? Will I have a bigger chance of getting a scholarship or something?

I would like to know your thoughts on it.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to get into grad school in physics, then your medical degree won't matter at all. In fact, you'll have 0 chance to be admitted in a grad school.

An undergrad degree is something else. But you're basically asking to get a second bachelors degree, I don't know what the policy is on that.

An undergrad degree is something else. But you're basically asking to get a second bachelors degree, I don't know what the policy is on that.

yes, that is what I meant.

Are you telling me that my degree might work against me?:uhh:

Almost all physics graduate programs in the US require at least one semester of quantum, E&M, and often times, depending on the program, either thermal/statistical/classical or all three for the top notch school. You also will most likely have to take the Physics GRE, a test that even people who have only studied physics will often struggle with.

All-in-all, you are probably out of luck for grad school with your current degree. However, if you plan on coming to study for a bachelors in physics, I would assume you would have no trouble getting into some of the finer undergrad programs.

He never mentioned that he wanted to go straight into grad school. If this is the case then yea, throw that idea out, you won't get in without a physics degree.

However, if you want to get another bachelor degree then there's no reason why you can't do that, though your medical degree will have absolutely 0 influence one way or another.

I'm sorry, I should've made myself clear.
I want to get another bachelor's degree as Clever-Name said.

I would assume you would have no trouble getting into some of the finer undergrad programs.
:smile:

though your medical degree will have absolutely 0 influence one way or another.
:frown:

I know that my degree is not a requirement but I was hoping that it would make my application look better, especially because I would be an international student and I was told that it would be harder for me to get accepted because of that.

It might have some positive influence in the sense that it proves you have the drive and determination to complete an undergraduate degree. But in the same sense it might negatively influence you in that the admissions department might be thinking that you don't know what to do with your life and might end up being a 'professional student'.

We cannot really answer these questions. Odds are you will be accepted.

It might have some positive influence in the sense that it proves you have the drive and determination to complete an undergraduate degree. But in the same sense it might negatively influence you in that the admissions department might be thinking that you don't know what to do with your life and might end up being a 'professional student'.

We cannot really answer these questions. Odds are you will be accepted.

Thank you.

I would appreciate it if more people told me their thoughts.

Frankly, I've never heard of an undergraduate degree in "medicine". Do you mean "pre-med"?

Frankly, I've never heard of an undergraduate degree in "medicine". Do you mean "pre-med"?

Studying medicine here starts right after high school, it takes about 7 years and we study subjects related to medicine from the get go (Histology, Anatomy, Physiology, etc) so I studied physics only in high school.

For all those 7 years, we are considered to be undergraduates and we all study the same subjects, then we could study for a master's degree, then for a PhD.
It's the longest undergraduate program here. Pretty tough for a bachelor's degree.

The same degree in engineering, dentistry or pharmacy takes only 5 years after high school.

1. Will having a medical degree guarantee me a job in the medical field?

No, having a medical degree does not guarantee a job in the medical field. While a medical degree is a valuable qualification, job availability and competition may vary depending on your location and specialty.

2. Are there any benefits to having a medical degree if I don't want to practice medicine?

Yes, there are still many benefits to having a medical degree even if you don't want to practice medicine. The critical thinking and problem-solving skills developed during your medical education can be applied to a variety of careers, such as research, public health, or healthcare administration.

3. Will my medical degree from a foreign country be recognized in the United States?

It depends on the country and the specific medical degree program. The United States has its own accreditation standards for medical schools, so it is essential to research the accreditation status of the program and verify its recognition in the US before enrolling.

4. Can I use my medical degree to pursue a career in a different field?

Yes, you can use your medical degree to pursue a career in a different field. The skills and knowledge gained during medical education, such as critical thinking, communication, and problem-solving, can be applied to various industries, including consulting, business, or law.

5. Will having a medical degree make a difference in my salary?

In general, having a medical degree can lead to higher salaries. However, the exact amount will depend on various factors, such as your specialty, location, and years of experience. It is essential to research and compare salary information for your specific field and location to get a better understanding of potential earnings.