Minor to go with double major in math and CS

In summary, the individual is double majoring in math and computer science and plans to do the 4+1 program for a master's in applied math. They are also considering getting a minor, possibly in chemistry or psychology. They are unsure if a minor is advisable and if so, which would be most helpful for employability. The conversation also suggests that a minor in statistics or a foreign language, particularly German or French, may be beneficial for a math PhD program.
TylerH
I'm double majoring in math and cs and will probably do the 4+1 program to get a MS in applied math. But, since I'm starting with a lot of hours (27), I thought I'd go ahead and get a minor in something. Is it even advisable for me to have a minor?

I'm not sure what field I want to go into. I'll probably go ahead with a PhD in pure math and try to get into academia. The point of the BS in CS is to make me more employable in the private sector, as a backup. So, with that goal, what minors would be helpful?

If there aren't any that are significantly useful in terms of employability, would it look bad if I just took a minor in something I'm interested in? (I don't want to appear as if I'm not focused and can't make up my mind.) I've been considering a minor in chem or psychology, since they're related to my interest in entheogens.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey TylerH.

If you are doing applied math where the focus is more on non-statistics courses (differential equations, numerical analysis, etc), I'd recommend doing a few statistics courses to get a stats minor.

I think you've probably got your bases covered with the double major combination. My school wouldn't even let us get a minor with a double major.

If you do want to get a minor, it might be worthwhile to think about a foreign language (particularly French or German, maybe ancient Greek or Latin), because a lot of math PhD programs expect you to be able to read papers written by important mathematicians from other countries. Like, you could read Gauss's original work if you knew German, or you could read Newton in the original Latin.

20Tauri said:
I think you've probably got your bases covered with the double major combination. My school wouldn't even let us get a minor with a double major.

If you do want to get a minor, it might be worthwhile to think about a foreign language (particularly French or German, maybe ancient Greek or Latin), because a lot of math PhD programs expect you to be able to read papers written by important mathematicians from other countries. Like, you could read Gauss's original work if you knew German, or you could read Newton in the original Latin.

That's a great idea that should have occurred to me. I've been considering moving to Germany later in life.

I would say that having a minor can be beneficial in certain ways. It can provide you with a broader knowledge base and potentially make you more well-rounded as a scientist. However, it is not necessary for everyone and ultimately, it depends on your individual goals and interests.

In your case, it seems like you have a clear plan for your education and career path. Your double major in math and CS, along with the 4+1 program for a MS in applied math, is already a strong combination that will make you highly employable in both academia and the private sector. Therefore, adding a minor may not necessarily increase your employability, but it may still be beneficial for your personal growth and interests.

If you are interested in pursuing a PhD in pure math and potentially going into academia, it may be more useful to focus on courses and research experiences related to that field. However, if you do have a strong interest in chem or psychology, taking a minor in those areas can still be beneficial as it can provide you with a different perspective and potentially open up new research opportunities.

Ultimately, it is important to choose a minor that aligns with your interests and complements your major, rather than just choosing one for the sake of employability. Employers and graduate schools will value your passion and dedication to a particular subject, rather than just a minor that you took for the sake of appearing more well-rounded. So, if you are truly interested in chem or psychology, then go for it and do not worry about appearing unfocused. Your strong academic background in math and CS will speak for itself.

1. What is the benefit of pursuing a minor with a double major in math and computer science?

A minor can provide a more well-rounded education and can help you stand out in the job market. It also allows you to explore a different subject that you may be interested in without committing to a full major.

2. Can I still graduate on time with a double major and a minor?

It is possible to graduate on time, but it may require careful planning and possibly taking summer or online courses. It is important to meet with an academic advisor to create a plan that works for you.

3. Will a minor in a different field be beneficial for my career in math and computer science?

A minor in a different field can provide a unique perspective and set of skills that can complement your major. For example, a minor in business or psychology can be useful in fields such as data analysis or human-computer interaction.

4. Can I switch my minor if I change my interests?

Switching your minor is possible, but it may require additional coursework and could potentially delay your graduation. It is important to carefully consider your interests and goals before committing to a minor.

5. How can I balance my coursework between my double major and minor?

It is important to prioritize and plan your coursework in advance. Make sure to communicate with your professors and academic advisor to ensure that you are on track to complete all requirements for your double major and minor.