Graduate School for Mathematics or Computer Science?

In summary, the speaker is a Math and Computer Science major in their senior year who is considering applying to graduate school. They are unsure if they want to pursue a PhD in mathematics or computer science, but they are leaning towards Theory in computer science. They are seeking advice and suggestions for making a decision and which schools to consider. The speaker also mentions that their professor has degrees in both computer science and mathematics, suggesting that the two fields are flexible and interchangeable.
markiv
Hey guys, so here's the deal. I'm a Math and Computer Science major, about to enter my senior year. I'm pretty sure I want to go to grad school and I just started looking for schools I might want to apply to. The thing is, I'm not completely sure if I'd like to pursue a PhD in mathematics or computer science. To be more specific though, if I'm going for math, I'd like to do Logic. And if I choose to go for computer science, I really want to do Theory. I'm sort of leaning towards pursuing Theory instead of Logic. But that's why I'm still unsure about which to pursue: I've been told a lot that Theory relies a lot on formal methods and mathematical logic. The two are related.

So I guess I'm asking for whatever advice/suggestions I can get for making a decision, and also which schools I might want to consider. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
markiv said:
So I guess I'm asking for whatever advice/suggestions I can get for making a decision, and also which schools I might want to consider. Thanks!
I have a professor with a bachelors, and masters in computer science, and a PhD in mathematics, I think its pretty flexible. So you can really go any way you want, I am sure you can change it if you want.

1. What is the difference between a Master's and a PhD in Mathematics or Computer Science?

A Master's degree in Mathematics or Computer Science is typically a 2-year program that focuses on coursework and may include a research project. A PhD, on the other hand, is a more advanced degree that usually takes 4-6 years to complete and involves original research that contributes to the field.

2. What is the application process like for graduate school in Mathematics or Computer Science?

The application process for graduate school in Mathematics or Computer Science usually involves submitting transcripts, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE). Some programs may also require a writing sample or interview.

3. Is it necessary to have a Bachelor's degree in Mathematics or Computer Science to apply for graduate school?

While having a Bachelor's degree in the same field can be beneficial, it is not always necessary. Many graduate programs in Mathematics or Computer Science welcome students from diverse backgrounds and may only require certain prerequisite courses to be completed before starting the program.

4. What are some common career paths for graduates with a degree in Mathematics or Computer Science?

Graduates with a degree in Mathematics or Computer Science can pursue a variety of careers, such as data analyst, software engineer, data scientist, research scientist, or professor. These degrees also provide a strong foundation for further study in related fields, such as finance, economics, or artificial intelligence.

5. Are there funding opportunities available for graduate students in Mathematics or Computer Science?

Many graduate programs in Mathematics or Computer Science offer funding opportunities in the form of teaching or research assistantships. These can cover tuition and provide a stipend for living expenses. Additionally, students may also be eligible for scholarships, grants, or fellowships from external organizations or the university itself.