Need help deciding on proper physics courses.

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of course options for an individual planning to transfer to a four-year school for mechanical engineering. They discussed the possibility of taking Calculus I and either College Physics (algebra-based) or Engineering Physics (calculus-based), as well as the importance of completing certain prerequisite courses for the engineering program. Ultimately, it was advised to skip College Physics and wait until after completing Calculus I to start Engineering Physics. The individual also expressed concerns about potential burnout from taking Calculus II and Engineering Physics I at the same time during the winter semester.
leehufford
Hello,

I am currently at a community college planning to transfer to a four year school for mechanical engineering. I last took physics in high school seven years ago, although I remember most of the concepts and even a couple basic equations.

I am taking Calculus I this fall. My original plan was to take College Physics I (algebra based) with Calculus I. But we have a class called Engineering Physics (calculus based). If the two courses cover the same material conceptually, I think I could brush up on the basics and skip College Physics in favor of Engineering Physics next semester (after Calculus I).

This would also allow me to take a much needed Chemistry class in the fall. It would put me a class ahead. Should I worry about my level of physics knowledge?

The prerequisite is only Calculus I, with prior high school or college physics recommended. Is taking College Physics I then Engineering Physics I a bad idea as I will be in Calculus this fall?

Thanks a million in advance for your reply.

Lee Hufford

Physics news on Phys.org
Since there was 170 views and no replies maybe my question wasn't clear enough.

Are algebra based physics and calculus based physics the same thing (covering the same material and equations) but with different math?

As an engineering student, is College Physics a waste of time if I am somewhat familiar with physics concepts and my school offers Engineering Physics?

I emailed the counseling dept. and a professor that teaches the calculus based physics, but no reply and registration starts tomorrow. You guys are my only hope :).

Lee Hufford

I have a few questions for you:

1. When are you planning on transferring?

2. Have you looked at the degree requirements for the school(s) you are planning on transferring to?

Most the engineering programs I looked at required the following:

Calculus I, II, and III
Ordinary Differential Equations
Chemistry I and II
Calculus based Physics I and II
Computer Science I

The schools I looked at expected these classes to be taken before transferring (they are prerequisites for the program).

KMcFadden said:
I have a few questions for you:

1. When are you planning on transferring?

2. Have you looked at the degree requirements for the school(s) you are planning on transferring to?

Most the engineering programs I looked at required the following:

Calculus I, II, and III
Ordinary Differential Equations
Chemistry I and II
Calculus based Physics I and II
Computer Science I

The schools I looked at expected these classes to be taken before transferring (they are prerequisites for the program).

First, thank you dearly for your reply.

1.) I have no set timetable that I have to transfer by. I decided in back in January that I wanted to become an engineer, and have been breezing through all of the prerequisites for Calculus.

2.) Yes, I have looked at sample schedules and transfer equivalencies for the University of Michigan and Oakland University. I know for a fact that I must take Engineering Physics. My main question is should I take College Physics (algebra based) and a refresher course or does Engineering Physics (calculus based) conceptually begin at the same place as College Physics, only with more elegant math?

The requirements for both of the schools I am considering are almost identical to the requirements you listed above. I would like to take an Introductory Chemistry class along with Calculus so I can prepare for Chem I and Chem II. So skipping College Physics would allow me to squeeze in Intro Chem in the fall semester.

Thanks again for your reply,

Lee

leehufford said:
My main question is should I take College Physics (algebra based) and a refresher course or does Engineering Physics (calculus based) conceptually begin at the same place as College Physics, only with more elegant math?

Usually the latter is the case. My impression is that at most schools, calculus-based and algebra-based intro physics are aimed at different groups of students, and it is unusual for a student to take both of them. Where I work, algebra-based physics is mainly for biology majors, pre-pharmacy students, and the occasional non-science major who wants to take physics to satisfy the science component of our general-education requirements. Calculus-based physics is for prospective physics and engineering majors. (I don't remember whether chemistry majors have to take the calculus-based course.)

Especially since you've had physics in high school, I wouldn't bother taking College Physics. Just wait until you've finished Calculus 1, then start with Engineering Physics.

jtbell said:
Usually the latter is the case. My impression is that at most schools, calculus-based and algebra-based intro physics are aimed at different groups of students, and it is unusual for a student to take both of them. Where I work, algebra-based physics is mainly for biology majors, pre-pharmacy students, and the occasional non-science major who wants to take physics to satisfy the science component of our general-education requirements. Calculus-based physics is for prospective physics and engineering majors. (I don't remember whether chemistry majors have to take the calculus-based course.)

Especially since you've had physics in high school, I wouldn't bother taking College Physics. Just wait until you've finished Calculus 1, then start with Engineering Physics.

Thank you for the reply!

I have been leaning towards just starting at Engineering Physics and that leaning has definitely been validated here. And since Intro to Chem is obviously a required class moving forward, at this point I'm leaning towards Calculus I and Intro to Chem this fall.

However: a NEW, related question:

How often do people get burned out by taking Calculus II and Engineering Physics I concurrently? (Possible Winter Semester schedule). I have many other classes (CAD, Computer Science, Chem I,II) that are waiting for me to discover. But I would really like to "keep the math train rolling" with Calculus II and get started in Physics, something I really like and dearly miss from high school.

Again, thank you for any past and future replies.

Lee

1. What are the basic physics courses that I should take?

The basic physics courses that you should take are typically divided into two categories: classical mechanics and electromagnetism. These courses cover topics such as motion, forces, energy, electricity, and magnetism.

2. What are the advanced physics courses that I can take?

The advanced physics courses that you can take vary depending on your interests and goals. Some common advanced courses include quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and modern physics. It is best to consult with a professor or academic advisor for specific recommendations based on your interests.

3. Are there any recommended prerequisites for advanced physics courses?

Yes, most advanced physics courses have prerequisite courses that you should take first. These may include introductory physics courses, calculus, and linear algebra. It is important to have a strong foundation in these areas before moving on to more advanced topics.

4. How do I decide which physics courses are right for me?

Deciding on the right physics courses for you depends on your interests and goals. If you are planning on pursuing a career in a specific field, research the recommended courses for that field. You can also talk to professors in the physics department for their recommendations and advice.

5. Can I take physics courses outside of my major or degree program?

Yes, you can take physics courses outside of your major or degree program. Many universities offer physics courses as electives, and some may even offer a minor or concentration in physics. Taking physics courses outside of your major can provide a well-rounded education and may also be beneficial for certain career paths.