Calculating Speed of q: Point Charge Q Loses Charge

In summary, a point charge of +7.25 μC is fixed at the origin. Point charge q = +1.60 μC is now carefully placed on the positive y-axis, and it floats at (0,7.88). Find the mass of q.
sweetpete28
a)Point charge Q = +7.25 μC is fixed at the origin. Point charge q = +1.60 μC is now carefully placed on the positive y-axis, and it floats at (0,7.88). Find the mass of q.

b) Refer to question a. Suppose that, as charge q is floating, the point charge Q at the origin begins to lose its charge at a constant rate of dQ/dt = -0.285 μC/s. Find the speed with which point charge q is approaching the origin when it is at (0, 3.94).

I got the answer a by using F = k x (q1 x q2 / r^2) and F = mg ---> m = 1.71 kg

I am completely stuck on b. Can someone please help??

Physics news on Phys.org

m = 1.71 kg seems a bit on the heavy side to me
coulomb constant is order 1010, the product of the charges is order 10-12 they gets divided by a number to the order of 100 ... expect a mass order of 0.0001kg.

- did you remember the 10-6 on each charge?

For (b) they are saying that conservation of charge is being violated ... it's magically being spirited away[*]. In context, they probably only only want the force to change with time. So you want to write out ƩF(r,t)=mar(t) and solve for r(t) and vr(t) I guess.

------------------

[*] Perhaps the charge at the origin is a charged metal sphere and charge is being drained to ground through a resistor?

1.71 kg is correct.

Still lost on b; F = 16.794 N and it is only in y direction

Still lost on b; F = 16.794 N and it is only in y direction
The coulomb force cannot be constant - Q depends on time
... "only in the y direction" just means that r=yj and, so, r=y ;)
... and don't forget gravity in the -y direction.
1.71 kg is correct.
Since you insist. That y=7.88 distance is not meters then? (Must be cm).

Last edited:

My profound apologies = Yes, in cm.

Can you please help a little more...an equation?...Yes, I am really lost on b

I have to avoid doing the problem for you ... so I'll stick to stuff you already know:

Choosing +y as the positive direction for forces:

The coulomb force is (remembering that y is a function of time now) [tex]F_C=\frac{kqQ(t)}{y^2}:Q(t)=a-bt[/tex]
The gravity force is [tex]F_g=-mg[/tex]

The net force in the +y direction is mass times y-acceleration[tex]F_C - F_g = m\ddot{y}[/tex]

:D

Last edited:

... I don't see how that is "introductory" ... what level is this to be done at?

I suppose you could assert that the coulomb and gravity forces are equal and opposite all through the motion - in which case the speed is a constant.

So the speed is just distance over time ... have the distance, need the time to travel Δy
This is the time it takes for the coulomb force to reduce so it will balance q at half the distance.

Last edited:

Thank you Simon -- I'll give this a go...

".. I don't see how that is "introductory" ... what level is this to be done at?" = My thoughts exactly...

...nd day of Principles of Physics II...

1. How do I calculate the speed of a point charge Q as it loses charge?

The speed of a point charge Q as it loses charge can be calculated using the equation v = (Q/m)t, where v is the speed, Q is the charge, m is the mass, and t is the time.

2. What units should I use when calculating the speed of a point charge Q?

The units for calculating the speed of a point charge Q are typically meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per second (km/s).

3. Can the speed of a point charge Q be negative?

Yes, the speed of a point charge Q can be negative if the charge is losing energy and slowing down.

4. How does the mass of the point charge Q affect its speed?

The mass of the point charge Q is directly proportional to its speed. This means that a larger mass will result in a slower speed, while a smaller mass will result in a faster speed.

5. Is there a limit to the speed a point charge Q can reach while losing charge?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of a point charge Q cannot exceed the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. Therefore, there is a limit to the speed a point charge Q can reach while losing charge.