Straight Pipe with many holes air consumption?

So, in summary, the person needs to provide more information on how the holes are set up and if the pipe is discharging into the atmosphere. They also mention the use of an FEA program to calculate the air pressure and suggest that the amount of air flow may be minimal at the end of the pipe unless it is tapered.
Scoots6
I need a formula! Please help!

Imagine a 9' long 1"IDx1.25"OD pipe. Along the length of this pipe there are a couple hundred ∅1/16 holes. If I'm feeding 60PSI into the pipe, what is my air pressure coming out of the little holes? And how do I find out the CFM the pipe is consuming? Please help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to provide more information on how these holes are setup. Are they setup in a straight line. Do you have a set of holes circling the pipe, or is it random. If its random it not going to be possible to derive an equation. You will need to use an FEA program.

Also, with hundreds of holes, and I'm assuming the pipe is straight. There probably will be very little to no air flow at the end of the pipe. If you taper the pipe different story.

Usually, and it should be no different in this situation, the pressure outside the little holes would be taken as atmospheric pressure, that is if the pipe is discharging into the atmosphere.

1. What is a straight pipe with many holes air consumption?

A straight pipe with many holes air consumption is a device used to measure the amount of air that is sucked into an engine or other mechanical system. It is typically used in automotive applications to determine the amount of air being consumed by the engine.

2. How does a straight pipe with many holes air consumption work?

The pipe is inserted into the air intake system of the engine, and as air is sucked in, it passes through the holes in the pipe. The pressure difference between the outside and inside of the pipe allows for the calculation of the air consumption rate.

3. What are the benefits of using a straight pipe with many holes air consumption?

By measuring the air consumption rate, the engine's performance can be accurately monitored and adjusted. This can lead to improved fuel efficiency, increased power output, and reduced emissions.

4. Are there any limitations to using a straight pipe with many holes air consumption?

One limitation is that the pipe measures the overall air consumption of the engine, rather than the distribution of air to individual cylinders. It also requires a skilled technician to properly interpret the data and make adjustments to the engine.

5. How often should a straight pipe with many holes air consumption be used?

The frequency of use depends on the specific needs of the engine, but it is typically used during tune-ups or when troubleshooting engine performance issues. It is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for proper usage and maintenance of the device.