Solving an Initial Velocity Problem for a Basketball Player

In summary: Now, read the problem statement carefully and figure out which time you need to use in the above equations. (You will need to use the same time in both equations.)Solve for V.I think you can do it now.In summary, a basketball player throws a ball from a distance of 9.5 m at an angle of 35 degrees above the horizontal towards a basket located 3.1 m high. Using the equations Vx = Dx/t and Dy = (V sine∅) - 0.5GT^2, the initial velocity of the ball can be calculated. The correct answer is 11 m/s, but the student initially obtained 4.64 m/s by assuming v2
rockersdash
1. Homework Statement

A basketball player is standing 9.5 m from the basket, which is at a height of 3.1m. she throws the ball from a initial height of 2m at an angle of 35 degrees above the horizontal. The ball goes through the basket. Determine intial velocity.

2. Homework Equations

Vx = Dx/t

v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad

Dy = (V sine∅) - 0.5GT^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I took only half the parabola diagram and assumed v2 is 0 m/s

Vert

v1 = ?
v2 = 0 m/s
a = -9.8 m/s^2
max height = 1.1 m

I used the equation

v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad

and got v1 as 4.64 m/s and from there on on I found initial velocity at an angle.

BUT the textbook gives a different answer (11m/s) as the initial velocity at an angle.

I can't figure out why I'm getting this wrong and my teacher sasys she will come back to me as she can't figure the mistake in mine... so help LOL

PS I assumed the max height of the parabola of the ball is 1.1 m otherwise I couldn't think of any other way.

Am I doing to this problem right? please post your work if any :)

Physics news on Phys.org

You have already posted this problem and I have given you an approach to follow. Since you have posted slightly more information here, how about we stay with this one to keep this from getting out of control. Your original post:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=636913

Last edited:

rockersdash said:
2. Homework Equations

Vx = Dx/t [this is good--what is Vx in terms of initial velocity, V?]

v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad

Dy = (V sine∅) - 0.5GT^2 [this is also good--you are correctly using V0,y = V sine∅. By the way, I now understand what you were trying to say by "max height": you meant to say "difference in height": (y - y0), which would be Dy in the above equation.]

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I took only half the parabola diagram and assumed v2 is 0 m/s [this is not good because you don't know how high the ball will go, nor at what point between the player and the basket this occurrs]

Vert

v1 = ?
v2 = 0 m/s
a = -9.8 m/s^2
max height = 1.1 m [again, this is not "max height" but the "difference in height"]

I used the equation

v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad

and got v1 as 4.64 m/s and from there on on I found initial velocity at an angle.

BUT the textbook gives a different answer (11m/s) [which is correct]as the initial velocity at an angle.

I can't figure out why I'm getting this wrong and my teacher sasys she will come back to me as she can't figure the mistake in mine... so help LOL

PS I assumed the max height of the parabola of the ball is 1.1 m :uhh: otherwise I couldn't think of any other way.

Am I doing to this problem right? please post your work if any :)
Use:
Vx = Dx/t
Dy = (V sine∅) - 0.5GT^2

You have 2 equations and two unknowns (V and T). Should I just tell you that Vx = V cos∅, or was that already clear in your mind?

1. What is an initial velocity problem for a basketball player?

An initial velocity problem for a basketball player involves determining the initial velocity, or speed and direction, at which a basketball player must shoot the ball in order to make a basket.

2. How is the initial velocity calculated for a basketball player?

The initial velocity for a basketball player can be calculated using the equation V = d/t, where V is the initial velocity, d is the distance to the basket, and t is the time it takes for the ball to reach the basket.

3. What factors affect the initial velocity of a basketball shot?

The initial velocity of a basketball shot is affected by factors such as the player's strength and technique, the angle at which the ball is released, air resistance, and the height of the basket.

4. How can a basketball player improve their initial velocity?

A basketball player can improve their initial velocity by working on their strength and technique, practicing shooting from different angles, and adjusting their release point to optimize their shot.

5. Why is it important to solve initial velocity problems for basketball players?

Solving initial velocity problems for basketball players can help them make more accurate shots and improve their overall performance on the court. It also allows coaches to analyze and improve their players' shooting skills.