Showing a set is linear dependent without calculations

As for my struggles with the subject, I will keep working at it and seeking assistance when needed. Thank you.
potetochippu

Homework Statement

Without any calculation, explain why [(1 3 0)' (2 2 1)' (-1 0 1)' (1 -3 1)' ] is a linear dependent set.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the theorem which states that the number of vectors in any linearly dependent set is greater than or equal to its dimension. But I cannot use any calculations to find the sets basis and consequently its dimension.

I am finding linear algebra challenging due to the theorems presented. There are too many theorems and some of them are difficult to comprehend! Any tips for this topic will be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
potetochippu said:

Homework Statement

Without any calculation, explain why [(1 3 0)' (2 2 1)' (-1 0 1)' (1 -3 1)' ] is a linear dependent set.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the theorem which states that the number of vectors in any linearly dependent set is greater than or equal to its dimension.
This is incorrect. For example, the set of just two vectors {(1 3 0), (2 6 0)} is dependent. What is correct is the "converse", that if a set of vectors has more vectors than the dimension of the vector space then they are dependent, which has hypothesis and conclusion reversed from what you have: "if p then q" is NOT the same as "if q then p".

But I cannot use any calculations to find the sets basis and consequently its dimension.
A "set" does not have a basis! These vectors all have three components so are in R3. Do you know what the dimension of R3 is?

I am finding linear algebra challenging due to the theorems presented. There are too many theorems and some of them are difficult to comprehend! Any tips for this topic will be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!
You seem to have great difficulty just learning the basic definitions. Mathematics, not just Linear Algebra, requires precision. You need to learn the precise words of definitions and theorems.

I'm not sure what you mean by "too many theorems". Theorems are what mathematics is all about. If you do not like mathematics, which is what you seem to be saying, then I do not understand why you are taking Linear Algebra.

Ok. I believe I have the correct answer now after carefully rereading the definitions and theorems.

The set is in R^3. The dimension of the space R^3 is 3. The numbers of vectors in a linearly independent set of a vector space is less than or equal to the dimension of the vector space. And since the number of vectors in this set is greater than the dimension of its vector space it cannot be linearly independent.

Thanks for the advice about precision, I really need to keep that in mind.

1. How do you show that a set is linear dependent without calculations?

The most common way to show that a set is linear dependent without calculations is by using the definition of linear dependence. This means that you need to prove that there exists a non-trivial linear combination of the vectors in the set that equals zero. In other words, there is a way to combine the vectors with non-zero coefficients to get a result of zero.

2. Can you explain the concept of linear dependence in simpler terms?

Linear dependence refers to a relationship between vectors in a set where one vector can be written as a combination of the others. In other words, there is no unique way to express that vector without using the other vectors in the set. This means that the vectors in the set are not all independent and can be reduced to a smaller set of vectors.

3. Is it possible for a set to be both linear dependent and linear independent?

No, a set cannot be both linear dependent and linear independent. These two concepts are mutually exclusive. A set is considered linear dependent if there exists a non-trivial linear combination that equals zero, while a set is considered linear independent if there is no such combination that equals zero.

4. What is the significance of proving that a set is linear dependent?

Proving that a set is linear dependent is important because it helps us understand the relationship between the vectors in the set. It also allows us to reduce the set to a smaller set of linearly independent vectors, which can simplify calculations and make it easier to solve linear equations.

5. Are there any other methods to show linear dependence without calculations?

Yes, there are other methods to show linear dependence without calculations, such as using graphical representations or geometric interpretations. These methods may be more intuitive and easier to understand for some people, but they may not always be applicable to all types of vectors and sets.