Rearranging highschool physics equations

In summary, when rearranging high school physics equations, it is important to carefully read and understand the given problem and identify the known variables and what you are trying to solve for. The purpose of rearranging equations is to solve for a specific variable or make the equation more suitable for a particular problem. This can be done by using algebraic techniques such as isolating the desired variable and performing inverse operations. It is important to follow rules such as maintaining equality and consistency with units. Equations with multiple variables can also be rearranged by considering one variable as the unknown and substituting known values before rearranging.
kimberlycc
Hey I am in physics 30 and i am having trouble rearraging this eqaution: d=vt+1/2at^2

V= velocity 1
a= acceleration
t= time
d=distance

I need to solve for t. Could anyone help me out with the rearranged equation
by the way, the last t in the equation is supposed to be squared

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a quadratic equation, [itex](1/2)at^2+ vt- d= 0[/itex] and can be solved using the "quadratic formula": if [itex]px^2+ qx+ r= 0[/itex], then
[tex]x= \frac{-q\pm\sqrt{q^2- 4pr}}{2p}[/tex]

Here, p= a/2, q= v, and r= -d.

that does not help me sorry.

1. How do I know which equation to use when rearranging high school physics equations?

It is important to carefully read and understand the given problem and identify what variables are known and what you are trying to solve for. Then, you can choose the appropriate equation that includes those variables.

2. What is the purpose of rearranging high school physics equations?

Rearranging equations allows you to solve for a specific variable or rearrange the equation to make it more suitable for a particular problem. It also helps you understand the relationship between different variables in the equation.

3. How do I rearrange an equation to solve for a different variable?

To rearrange an equation, you can use algebraic techniques such as isolating the desired variable on one side of the equation and performing inverse operations on the other side.

4. Are there any rules I should follow when rearranging high school physics equations?

Yes, when rearranging equations, it is important to maintain the equality of the equation by performing the same operations on both sides. It is also important to be consistent with units and ensure that the final equation makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. Can I rearrange equations with multiple variables?

Yes, you can rearrange equations with multiple variables by considering one variable as the unknown and solving for it. However, make sure to substitute the known values for the other variables in the equation before rearranging to avoid errors.