Determining resistance of a series resistor in a simple series circuit

In summary, a conversation is had about a circuit problem for a class, where the student is trying to find the voltage drop across R1 and the value of R2. The numbers given are not plausible and it is determined that there is no valid solution for the problem. The suggestion is made to pick a negative number for R2, but the student hopes the professor does not expect this as the class is for an applied engineering degree.
gbru316
Background: I learned electronic theory 10 years ago from the Army, and have since worked in the electronics industry as a technician, for about the past 9 years. I'm working towards a BSEET (my interest lies in application, not research) and am required to take a few algebra based physics classes. Below is a problem that I thought I could do in my sleep (classes start monday, found this while perusing online coursework), but it seems like I have forgotten more than I have realized.

Homework Statement

Vt = 8 vdc
It = 13.7 amps
R1 = 7Ω
R2 = unknown

Find voltage drop across R1 and the value of R2.

Homework Equations

V=IR, single-loop circuit rule

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Since current is constant in a series circuit, I THOUGHT I could find the voltage drop across R1 by multiplying the value of R1 by the current, which amounts to 95.9 volts. Impossible, since the source voltage is only 8 volts. Had this worked, I could have used the resulting voltage drop to calculate the resistance of R2, since the voltage drop across R2 would have been Vt - VR1.

2) I attempted to determine Rt by using the equation Vt = It(R1 + R2). In doing so, I get -6.4Ω, which is, again, impossible.

I thought that in order to satisfy ohm's law, Rt has to be 0.58Ω, which makes the value of R1 false, since Rt = R1 + R2. Where am I going wrong?

These numbers are random numbers based upon student's name and ID number. That being said, is it even possible to achieve 13.7 amps with a voltage source of 8 volts and total resistance of >7Ω? According to my memory, calculations and sim software, it's not. Even with a total resistance of 7 ohms, total current in the circuit is about 1.15 amps at +8 Vdc. We'd need to raise voltage to roughly 95.6 volts to achieve 13.7 amps through a 7Ω circuit, even more if we added a second resistor.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, where you are going wrong at the moment is that you forgot to post the circuit diagram so you likely won't get any help just yet :smile:

phinds said:
Well, where you are going wrong at the moment is that you forgot to post the circuit diagram so you likely won't get any help just yet :smile:

I didn't think I needed a circuit diagram for a simple series circuit... but here you go:

attachment.php?attachmentid=54466&stc=1&d=1357361317.jpg

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 481
gbru316 said:
I didn't think I needed a circuit diagram for a simple series circuit... but here you go:

attachment.php?attachmentid=54466&stc=1&d=1357361317.jpg

No, I don't think you are likely to get 13.7 amps flowing through that circuit. Must be some mistake.

Dick said:
No, I don't think you are likely to get 13.7 amps flowing through that circuit. Must be some mistake.

That's precisely what I thought. There's no mistake, the numbers are taken from the student's name and ID number. Each student solves the circuit with different numbers. It could work if the supply voltage was greater than 96 volts (allowing max current of 13.7 amps with a resistance of >7 ohms), or the current was less than 1.15 amps (assuming a +8 Vdc source), but it seems that it's not plausible with the original numbers.

Being a bit rusty on my circuit solving skills, I'm relieved to know that I'm not an idiot; that there really isn't a valid solution for this problem as originally given.

Thanks for the help!

gbru316 said:
That's precisely what I thought. There's no mistake, the numbers are taken from the student's name and ID number. Each student solves the circuit with different numbers. Mine, it seems, do not work. With the numbers dependent upon factors outside of the professors control, he has to expect that some students wind up with impossible solutions.

Being a bit rusty on my circuit solving skills, I'm relieved to know that I'm not an idiot, that there really isn't a valid solution for this problem.

Thanks for the help!

If the numbers are completely random, then maybe you can pick a negative number for R2? It's not very physically plausible, but maybe you should just solve it anyway.

Dick said:
If the numbers are completely random, then maybe you can pick a negative number for R2? It's not very physically plausible, but maybe you should just solve it anyway.

If that's the case, then R2 would be about -6.5 ohms.

I really hope the professor doesn't expect this, this class is for an applied engineering degree.

1. How do you determine the resistance of a series resistor in a simple series circuit?

To determine the resistance of a series resistor in a simple series circuit, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). This means you can measure the voltage and current in the circuit and then use the formula R = V/I to calculate the resistance.

2. What is a series resistor in a simple series circuit?

A series resistor is a resistor that is connected in series with other components in a circuit. This means that the current flowing through the circuit must pass through the resistor, causing a voltage drop across it. Series resistors are commonly used to control the flow of current or to limit the voltage in a circuit.

3. Why is it important to determine the resistance of a series resistor in a simple series circuit?

Determining the resistance of a series resistor is important because it allows you to calculate the current and voltage in the circuit, which are essential for understanding how the circuit functions. By knowing the resistance, you can also determine the power dissipated by the resistor and the effect it has on the overall circuit.

4. How can you measure the voltage and current in a simple series circuit?

You can measure the voltage and current in a simple series circuit using a multimeter. Set the multimeter to the appropriate mode for measuring voltage or current and then connect the leads to the circuit. Make sure to connect the positive lead to the point where you want to measure the voltage and the negative lead to the ground or reference point.

5. What factors can affect the resistance of a series resistor in a simple series circuit?

The resistance of a series resistor can be affected by factors such as the type of material the resistor is made of, its length and thickness, and its temperature. Additionally, the resistance may change over time due to factors such as aging or damage to the resistor. It is important to consider these factors when determining the resistance of a series resistor in a simple series circuit.