RC Circuits and Time Constants

In summary, the task is to determine the time constant and voltage across a capacitor in a circuit where the switch has been closed for a period of time long enough for steady state conditions to have been reached. The time constant is determined by the equivalent resistance of the circuit, and the voltage across the capacitor can be found using the formula v(t) = V(0)(1-e^(-t/τ). The equivalent resistance can be determined using the Thevenin equivalent method, where the voltage source is replaced with a short circuit and the resistance seen by the capacitor is calculated. It is important to accurately define the problem and carefully consider the details in order to solve it correctly.
Kevin2341

Homework Statement

For the circuit below, the switch has been closed for a period of time long enough for steady state conditions to have been reached.

RC1.png

a: Determine the time constant before the switch is opened
b: Determine the time constant after the switch is closed
c: Determine the voltage across the capacitor before the switch is opened
d: Determine the voltage across the capacitor after the switch is closed
e: Draw a graph of the voltage vs time, with sufficient time duration that steady state conditions are shown

Homework Equations

τ=RC
v(t) = V(0)(1-e^(-t/τ)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I got

a: τ = 33.3Ω * 90mF, τ = 3
note: 33.3Ω is a result of (50*100/150), or (r1 + r2) || r3 as the circuit is flowing through the switch

b: τ = 33.3Ω * 90mF, τ = 3
note: 33.3Ω is a result of (50*100/150), or (r3 + r2) || r1 as the circuit is flowing through the capacitor (until the capacitor becomes an "open circuit")

c: v(t) = ?, not sure what to do here, or how to go about it. I have a formula, but every approach I can think of I either end up with 0, or infinity. Speaking in terms of what happens with the e function, -t/τ. Because when the switch is closed, we can think of t as infinity I think (because the voltage\current relationship will be the same for ever in ideal conditions), so you would get e^ (-infinity/3) --> 0), e^0 = 1, so 24(1-1) = 0.

d: Don't think you even need to mathematically prove that the voltage across the capacitor (as the only "exit" route, as the capacitor charges, current goes to 0 as voltage goes to its limit), so voltage across the open switch circuit would be 24V.

Could use some help here, am I on the right path with my time constants? If not, what am I doing wrong, and what can I do to find c? (probably also what can I do for d, I can't imagine a verbal explanation would satisfy the instructor)

Physics news on Phys.org
a) and b) are the same. So arer c) and d). I wonder if this is a very poor paraphrasing of the given problem ...

rude man said:
a) and b) are the same. So arer c) and d). I wonder if this is a very poor paraphrasing of the given problem ...

Really? I see different equivalent resistances for the two cases.

gneill said:
Really? I see different equivalent resistances for the two cases.

"a: Determine the time constant before the switch is opened
b: Determine the time constant after the switch is closed "

"Before the switch is opened" and "after the switch is closed" are not the same thing? Like, in both cases the switch is closed!

Same for c & d.

rude man said:

"Before the switch is opened" and "after the switch is closed" are not the same thing? Like, in both cases the switch is closed!

Same for c & d.

Yeah, I just noticed that myself... Either way, anyone have any advice? Fortunately this is just extra credit for the class, but either way, I would like to be able to figure out what the heck is going on

rude man said:

Same for c & d.

D'Oh! You're right! I parsed right over that and drew rational conclusions rather than right ones. Clearly the devil is in the details :smile:

Kevin2341 said:
Yeah, I just noticed that myself... Either way, anyone have any advice? Fortunately this is just extra credit for the class, but either way, I would like to be able to figure out what the heck is going on

Have you covered equivalent (net) resistance? How about Thevenin equivalents? In either position of the switch, what equivalent resistance does the capacitor "see" when the source is suppressed (voltage source replaced by a short circuit)?

Kevin2341 said:

Yes, I have some advice. Get the problem defined correctly! :grumpy:

Don't get mad at me! I copied that word for word off my assignment lol!

gneill said:
Have you covered equivalent (net) resistance? How about Thevenin equivalents? In either position of the switch, what equivalent resistance does the capacitor "see" when the source is suppressed (voltage source replaced by a short circuit)?

Yes we have in both.

Kevin2341 said:
Don't get mad at me! I copied that word for word off my assignment lol!

So then you need to straighten out your instructor or ... :smile:

What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. The capacitor can store and release electrical charge, while the resistor controls the flow of current in the circuit.

What is the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant of an RC circuit is a measure of how quickly the capacitor can charge or discharge. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in ohms by the capacitance (C) in farads. The unit of time constant is seconds (s).

What is the significance of the time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant determines the rate at which the capacitor charges and discharges in the circuit. It is also used to calculate the behavior of the circuit, such as the voltage across the capacitor over time.

How does the time constant affect the behavior of an RC circuit?

A smaller time constant means that the capacitor will charge and discharge more quickly, resulting in a faster response time for the circuit. A larger time constant means that the capacitor will take longer to charge and discharge, resulting in a slower response time.

What are some applications of RC circuits and time constants in real life?

RC circuits and time constants are commonly used in electronic devices such as filters, timers, and oscillators. They are also important in the study of biological systems, as they can model the behavior of neurons and cell membranes.